Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Don57
Established Member

M.O.C. #10198
Retired due to disability

being forced to retire due to health issues,was not prepared $ wise, but thats the way it goes,heart attack,hip replacement, broken neck,but I get around alright. 31yrs in union ironworkers takes it toll.I'm in mid 50's get small union pension plus disabled, wife also on small pension.New 3400rl on the way in May, house is for sale.Medicare will start in Sept.I don't know if i should sit at home and rot, or go with the plans and follow the good weather and enjoy some life while it last. Does anyone out there have a similar situation.

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don57, I am 62, been medically retired since '04. I have mil retirement, small VA and SSDI. Wife has mil retirement and small VA, she is not eligible for SS until 2012 (our next pay raise). We sold our home in Alaska in '07 and started travelling then. We do sightseeing when we travel, but mostly we are living the casual life. We joined Thousand Trails so when we stay in their parks we do not have a nightly fee. There are so many 1000 Trails parks in Cal, Ore, and Washington, that we could stay forever without paying another nightly fee. Of Course, we do have to move every three weeks. My vote is to travel as much as you can. We do live in a very diverse and beautiful country.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not medically retired, just retired. I do have what seems to be an incurable condition that may, at some point, contribute to my demise. This is my take on these declining years and the ever increasing limitations imposed upon me. Since we all will die at some point, it seems to me we have a choice. We can live until we die or spend our time dying until it is done. As for me, I plan to squeeze out all the life I have in living until it is over. That means different things to different folks.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Stiles: "Since we all will die at some point, it seems to me we have a choice. We can live until we die or spend our time dying until it is done."
We really like that statement.
We never put it into words like that, but it says what we feel.
Thanks for the quote and, if you don't mind, we would like to use it occasionally (with full credit given, of course ).
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don death is a know fact we will not get out of this world alive. I retired from the Military in 1993 but work until 2005. My wonderful wife was forced to retire in 1999, very sad and a big loss to the Medical system. I'm also a Cancer survior and Retired full time in Jan 2005. We were full timing and due to Medical issues of my wife's mother we quit. And built another house now we wish we hadn't built another house. We did get back into RVing and we are now some timers, 6 to nine months we travel. I vote, do as your able to do and warmer climates will make a person feel better. I think each person should follow their dreams, and Live every day as if its the first and last day on earth. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
You know if you sit around and rot you'll just get all stinky, and what fun is that? There are lots of folks on the road with physical impairments. They just do what they can do when they can do it and don't when they can't. Sometimes life on the road seems to improve a person's health, and for sure their outlook. I speak from experience and agree completely with Stiles - Since we all will die at some point, it seems to me we have a choice. We can live until we die or spend our time dying until it is done."
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I will gallop to the gates on a wild stallion, rein 'im in hard to a sliding stop raising a cloud of dust, leap from the saddle exclaiming "YEHAH, what a RIDE !" I'll also live life just like that, between now and then.

My Wife is going thru the paperwork for permanent disability right now. We'll see what happens with my next surgery in a month, I may be headed for there too. She works(ed) for one of the largest corps in the world...I am self employed. We are both just under 55, and it appears medical issues may cause us both to "retire", but we were already gearing up for that in the next two years anyway...but I'll never really retire, and intend to at the very least do some workamping. I know I may not be 100%, but even in volunteer situations I'll be better off than sittin' on the sidelines.

"sit at home and rot...." NOT ! You are worth WAYYYYYY more than that !
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Larry, If it helps frame an idea or feeling for you, be my guest. I am honored you feel it is worth quoting.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Don57, life is very short so I would say go for it and do it as long as you can.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Enjoy it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don57,
What a group, huh?! Got to agree with the "Get busy living or get busy dying" or whatever the quote from the Shawshank Redemption which Stiles Watson so elegantly phrased.

Many of us are disabled to one degree or another. We make whatever adaption we may need. I carry around an electric handicap cart to help me get around. So do whatever you need to do but get out there and see what you can while you can! You'll love it!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Don,
I think everyone has probably said it all, if you are able to go, why not. It's a beautiful country and there are a lot of wonderful people out there to meet.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
All been said.
Ask yourself, what are you waiting for?
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Farron Young used to sing, "I'm gonna live fast, love hard, die young, and leave a beautiful memory." Well, I don't know about the die young part but the rest is pretty good.

Our home is going on the market this fall. We will list it at the price we want, allow a little fudge room, and see what happens. If is sells...good. If it doesn't sell...good. (Carol will still have a home base to come to.) I still have a lot of country to see, particularly in the NE and Atlantic Seaboard. I am not retired. I do have AF retirement, OMB retirement, SS, and an annuity. That is enough to not have to work. So, I don't work. But I am not retired. Just laid back.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hamrad,

Your post got me curious. Did, in fact, I paraphrase a line out of a movie and not realize it? It is certainly possible. However, in this particular case it is not so. I did research on the Shawshank Redemption and discovered it was released in 1994. I first used this concept in a counseling session with a terminally ill client in 1992.

Since I am not inclined to read fiction novels, I also had not read the book. I guess the same idea can be generated from more than one source, sources that are totally unrelated.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stiles,
My intent was simply to show that this sentiment can and has been worded in many many ways. I meant no negative context whatsoever to be heaped on you. It was simply to say that a line in a movie made a statement about the subject of our discussion. Whether you said it first would seem to be clear. And you stated it in an extremely well worded manner.

Thank you for a concise statement that would make any of us get up and start marching..... even if we didn't know why or where we might be marching.

If you think I caused or intended to cause you any grief with my statement I apologize. I was hoping to add to rather than subtract from the discussion.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
DISCLAIMER- My motto is not original from me- The rule I follow is that " It is better to wear out than rust out " - Following this creed seems to make me feel better- Try it- If you like it, pay it forward- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, we all know what a thoughtful and considerate man you are. Not to worry my friend.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #19
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
To be blunt, why in the hell would someone choose to sit till they die. The wife and I are both cancer survivors, both have had heart surgery, her 1 me 7 and she needs another. We have gone down this great road of life with all the glee and energy we can muster. I'm pushing 70 and guarantee you that I have a LOT of living left, even if I die in the middle of it. I will damned sure die looking through the windshield NOT the rearview mirror.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #20
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Say, Wildhorse - I watched some of those "cowboys" at the Cheyenne Frontier days rodeo trying to ride some of those wild mustangs around the arena in a "race" (1st one around the arena won) those guys had trouble even getting the horses to go in a straight line, let alone controlling it to a sliding stop. Are you sure that's a "wild horse" you're taking to the pearly gates?
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote