Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
proposed expansion of analog converter coupon prog

Those of you with only a post office box mailing address may be aware we are denied eligibilty for the government coupon for $40 towards purchase of a digital to analog converter. We are denied because our mail service's address is a "business address." I submitted an appeal per the formal procedures but that, too, was denied.

I've been working with our Senator's office to overcome this detail. This morning I received an email from that office saying the government is taking comments on a proposal to expand the program to include those in nursing homes and those with only a post office box address.

For those interested in providing comments to help our cause, here is the information. The proposal includes addresses for emailing and snail mailing your comments.

You can read the proposal at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frn...PRM_080424.pdf

If you'd like to email comments, the address is coupon@ntia.doc.gov

Here is the relevant paragraph from the above document -

ADDRESSES: Comments via mail should be submitted to: Milton Brown, Office of the Chief Counsel, National Telecommunications and Information Administration, 1401 Constitution Avenue, Room 4713, Washington, DC 20230. Comments may also be sent by facsimile to (202) 501–8013. Electronic comments may be submitted to coupon@ntia.doc.gov or to Regulations.gov at www.regulations.gov.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We used Escapees mail service with no problems.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bigmurf, you were able to get the coupons using your Escapees mail address? I don't understand that since that's also a business address. Does escapees give you a separate street address or is it a box number at a common address?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
There was a question of the form asking if this was a business address. We just checked no.
BTW The Escapees service has its own Zip Code(77399)
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Murph. I don't recall that checkbox but they came back and told me it's a business address. When I called, they said their records show it as a business address. Maybe Escapees has theirs registered differently somehow. In any case the expansion, if it passes, will take care of our problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: I guess your Uncle Sam must think you are having too much fun to watch tv.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Steve: In the info/ads I have seen on TV I think it mentioned that if you use satellite you don't need to use the converter box because it is already digital. Is this correct?
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I decided I only needed one converter box since I only had one satellite box but after starting the install of the converter box I figure I should have gotten two. I only plan to use the converter if I can't get satellite because of trees or whatever the reason. May be nice to get local TV channels sometimes also.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
CanDo, we don't use satellite. We either use our antenna or the park's cable connection.

Bill, I don't watch much TV but Vicki does. And my goal here is to keep her happy. You know that old saying....

We upgraded our living room tv so that's not a problem. But we don't plan to upgrade the bedroom tv until it dies because we seldom watch it. Mostly watching news while shaving, etc.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
The Escapees National Headquarters zip code is 77351. Those who have the Escapees Mail Service have a street address with a number (111 Street, #1234), Livingston, TX 77399-1111 (last 4 ficticious). There was a court action back in 2004 that declared these addresses as valid permanent addresses for Escapees members because we can go there any time and set up on a lot. It is our "home" when we are there and when we are gone.

Does this help clarify anything?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, was that a Texas court decision or national? Those of us with alternative resources have the same thing you do.... 3700 S. Westport Ave #1234 (fictiious last four). But that's listed as a business address.

I think the Escapees have a zip code unique to just them, don't they? I wonder if that makes the difference. My Senator is still working on this but the wheels of political progress are agonizingly slow.

The difference most likely is we do not have a lot at our address where we can go set up.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
Yes the Escapees zip for us is unique for us. The 77399 is actually Houston where the mail is sorted and trucked to Livingston daily by semi. The 77351 is Livingston which is the location of Escapees HQ.
The court action was Texas court, not national. It was brought about by a disgruntled County Commissioner who lost his position in the election. He and his lawyers claimed that the Escapees were the ones who voted him out and since they (us) weren't legally residents of Polk County, our votes shouldn't be allowed. He lost the suit and the court declared that we were legal residents of Polk County and call Escapees RV Park home. The defeated commissioner was defeated soundly because the whole county didn't want him in office. Other commissioners from the same political party were re-elected but he didn't get the message. I understand that he is still grumbling.

Yes, the fact that you don't have a lot where you can set up is probably the major sticking point.

I'm sorry to have hijacked this thread but felt the information was valid for those who are interested.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, it's my thread and I don't think you hijacked it. In fact, it's related to the original topic.

I remember when that lawsuit was going on (I'm an escapees member but don't use their mail service) but didn't know the particulars. Thanks for the insights. I'd bet the permanent lot is the difference.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got our two "cards" to purchase the Boxes yesterday. I don't think we need them..in fact I am almost sure we do not need them. So keep in mind that we will have a box or two that we will carry in the camper. Should anyone need one..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #15
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Regarding the converter box, I read recently that someone in an RV with the directional RV antenna had problems with a cheaper model. The article said to purchase one that will work with an RV multi-directional antenna. I see that Winegard (?) sells one for this purpose.

Then there is the PO Box problem. We must pick up our mail at the post office. No problem there as it is just 300 feet from our residence in a small village. (Actually is owned by Bronson Pinchot the actor - another story for another day!!)I have had more problems getting items shipped to a PO Box. Not my fault that this is the way it is. I have had several go-rounds with Nextel/Sprint in shipping new phones to this address. I had to have them shipped elsewhere. I have added my street name to the box number and dropped the word "Box" and that seems to satisfy most but when they check the address, it comes up as not a valid physical address. We are in the process of re-addressing the entire county and that should solve the problem. I went so far as to give the GPS coordinates of my house but that didn't work. I guess they were not impressed.