Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
NOAA Weather Radio - What Kind?

What kind of NOAA Weather Radio with emergency alert, do you use and do you recommend it? I've been checking on line and because of our frequent travels on the road, believe that a rechargeable one would be preferrable. I believe that this topic was discussed some time back, but I couldn't find it. I figured that there is probably lots of weather radio experiences out there amongst our vast Montana ownership.

Jim

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Jim, I got mine from Radio Shack, it cost me 59.00, plus I got an ac adapter to use in my trucks inverter while traveling, and to plug in the monty. those batteries go down fast. adapter was 15.00 , this is a hand held radio. And it sure has come in handy this yr so far , we just missed 3 tornados this spring. this radio can be set on auto travel mode and will change on its on whatever part of the country you in. hope this helps
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I picked up a battery operated one at Home Depot. Cost about $20.00 if I remember correctly.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Midland WR 300.

Why?

- Operates on either 120 or 12v. I normally hook mine up to 12v outlet in the trailer so that it will work, even if the 120v fails.

- Has built in antenna, and an input for an external antenna. (hook it up to TV antenna for greater range).

- Can be programmed for local counties (SAME codes).

(Incidently, weather radios work the same in both the U.S. and Canada, so a U.S. weather radio will pick up Canadian weather alerts if you are in Canada - and vice versa).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Thanks all. Gives me some options to pursue. I will check them out.

Jim
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto what OntMont says, we have same unit, and are very pleased with it.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is a Midland with the same capabilities as OntMont's except it doesn't run on 12v. It has battery backup.

Be sure yours has a true power off feature. Ours does not. It has a "weather radio" on/off switch but it just shuts off the weather radio. The clock continues to consume batteries. When the backup batteries die after a few days on the road, all the settings are lost. I could pull the batteries out to serve as the OFF function but I'd still lose the settings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Here in Northern California where the weather is perfect everyday we have no need for weather radios. However, I could see a poor unsuspecting person like myself driving through a Tornado or Hurricane state listening to CDs or XM radio without a clue that I was driving into a tornado or hurricane. So my question is: do you drive with the weather radio on in your truck to warn you of what’s happening around you?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
BirdingRVer

My kids accuse me of having a weather "tick", but I feel it is a safety issue, plus being outside is such a huge part of Rving.

We keep a close tab on the weather, where we are and where we are headed. Weather bug is great on the computer, you can pick a city you are intending to travel to, and it will give you a 3 to 7 day forecast.

Forecasting is far from perfect, but they are getting pretty good at telling you when there will be some possible violent weather, then we keep an even closer tab on the weather bug, weather channel, local tv stations, and the weather readio. I use em all.

Important: know where you are, especially the county names!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Grant , I have mine on while driving, its plugged into my inverter on my truck, altho it does have batteries. I just dont want to drive into a tornado, I got pretty close to 3 this yr and it gets kinda "hair raising" if you know what I mean. but tho its on it doesnt make a sound unless there is something going on in the surrounding area.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

When the backup batteries die after a few days on the road, all the settings are lost.
Which is exactly why you need one that will run continuously on 12 volts. The batteries will hold it long enough to move from trailer, to truck, to stick house, etc; but for long term security, you need the 12 volt power supply.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 AM   #12
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
If buying a weather radio get one with the SAME code feature. This allows you to enter the code for the county where you are. This avoids the annoyance of having the radio sound alarms for areas you are not concerned about. The county codes are available on the NOAA website. We usually enter the codes for the surrounding counties and/or counties through which we will we passing if on the move. Our radio is a Midland 200 which I purchased on the net.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
jsrang,

We bought this one from Radio Shack. It has the SAME technology and has been very useful while trying to outrun inclement weather.

http://tinyurl.com/379loa

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Thanks to all who provided input. I actually got 2 of them. One being the Midland 100 (Fathers Day gift from Daughter), and the 2nd one is a hand held unit from Radio Shack. The Midland is plugged into Monty and the hand held one we keep in the TV.

Jim
Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I bought the same one as simonsrf. Will scare the heck out of you the first time the warning alarm goes off. Nice feature though.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote