Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Fulltiming and having a second vehicle

I just want to get some ideas on how a fulltimer could move a second vehicle around wth him.First, the reason for this post. I have 3 years to work before I retire and I think I might like to try at least a couple of years of full timing. I want to stick with fifth wheels, the lower head room of a motorhome I don't want.
I know that main places you visit, a big pickup is no problem , and for shopping at Costcos and Walmarts a big truck fits well.

I live near Victoria BC and it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but for driving down around the Inner harbor and China Town, it is very difficult to ever park a big TV and I know both USA and Canada have many cities like this so it would be so great to have my Honda Accord with me when I am on the road.

Here, are the choices I see. When I travel, I could get the wife to follow in the Accord, fine for traveling only a couple hundred miles but on long travel days, I would miss her company in the cab of the TV.

Are there commercial haulers out there that move vehicles around for not too crazy a fee?

Just throwing this out for discussion as I know most of us have at least two vehicles most of our working lives and trying to find out if some fulltimers in Fivers have found a way to do this. Thanks.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I would think that, in the occasional city that a TV would not be right, one could rent a vehicle for the day or days. That seems like it would be a more cost effective way.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Boylanag, I think you are correct about renting being the most cost effective way and I guess I just have to wrap my head around the fact that I will have to sell off a lot of things if I go full time.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
From one fulltimer to a wannabe, start wrappin'.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Wrench traveller, It's only "stuff". I almost felt the same way when we decided to full time.
You will find that you don't miss it. Your life becomes much simpler and more relaxed. You don't constantly worry about house upkeep, taxes, things like that. WE Love fulltiming
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had the same dilemma when we started fulltiming. We had a great '98 Taurus that I just loved but my wife said she was not going to spend her time following me wherever we went. So, we sold it for what we owed on it (what a deal for the buyer) and never looked back. If you absolutely have to have another vehicle while you work then you could rent. Also, if you're not going to far away, you could keep the car a little while longer. Just my opinion, I'm not in your predicament.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We are working fulltimers, and have a Honda Accord. Mary follows behind when we have the Mountaineer hooked and moving. Several years ago we studied and took the Ham radio lic. test and use dependable Ham radios to stay in contact and visit while driving, it's almost like we are sitting next to each other. We have found over the last four years that we have twice as many miles on the Accord as we have on the pick-up. It gives us a lot of flexibility. When wintering in Laughlin, we hit Las Vegas during the week and rent a room downtown for about $40. On a trip to Disney World, we dropped the car in Alabama for 10 days and picked it back up when we finished. My response will be in the minority on this topic, but I'd sure hate to have half the miles on that Honda on my pick-up.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have been fulltiming since October 05. We have a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer plus the TV that we bring with us, although we are selling the Blazer this spring. We decided that we didn't really need a second vehicle. Karen would drive the Blazer and provided my interference when I needed to change lanes. Gonna miss that when she is sitting next to me. We use the little talk abouts to communicate to each other.

Getting rid of "stuff" is one of the hardest decisions when you get ready to make the leap. There are several here that have put everything into storage. Some like us either sold the stuff, or gave it to the kids or a charity and started with the bare necessities. We still have our little "treasures" we couldn't live without. They get packed into a footlocker when we move. We have stuff in the basement of the Monty that we haven't used in a year and a half, so we probably don't need it and will donate that stuff also.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I happen to still be working while living in my montana. I actually have four motor vehiles, but before I relocate, I plan on selling two vehicles, and keep my truck and a convertible (i have to keep that) ha!...anyway, after pull my trailer to Arizona, I plan on flying back to Ohio and drive the miata to arizona and put it in storage when I take off and travel. But arizona will be my primary state that I will return to in the winter most times. I am by myself so no one will be able to follow me around with the car. But one day, I'll get rid of that vehicle to...but not right now. There are companies that will move vehicles for you but they are high (my opinion) and I rather drive it across the country and take my time.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
SKOOBDO, Sounds like you need one of them SURV's for that Miata...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We only have the TV but there were times we could have used a 2nd vehicle. When we were both working we arranged our work schedules so That I could drop Lorraine off and pick her up after work. I have since quit my job but Lorraine still has hers until the end of tax season. However she works less than a mile from the CG and she'll either get a ride from a fellow employee or walk. Her choice not mine. She considers the walk good exercise. Most days I do pick her up and we will go out to eat.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 AM   #12
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We still have 12 years of work ahead of us. When we did the liqudation sale last Summer/Fall just about everything went out the door. Except a few things that were unmentionable. So we have a 10' enclosed trailer that we keep some extras in. Our Harley being the one thing that I could not depart with. Of coarse we have to have two vehicals because we both work. We will probaly be able justify getting rid of the the second vehical and enclosed trailer but the Harley will have to come along. Now if I can get Gina to pull the 5er and I will be willing to follow her with the Harley. NOT!!! She will not do that. Better yet they will finally design a toy hauler that is fulltimer friendly by then. Now if Montana could help us out, it would be even better...... Guess time will tell.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Nancy was recalled for a 6-8 week work thing back to Calif in Nov. I hauled the rig back here, solo, while she started the work thing. While she was working, we rented a car. That was a bit pricey for two months.

If I had it to do again, I would think about buying a $3000 something or other and reselling it when we were finished. That way, you only lose the difference between buying and selling prices of the same vehicle. For an intermediate short period, a couple or three months, it would be far less than monthly rentals.

We have rented a vehicle at different locations for various reasons. No problem, now and then, for a day or two, but the costs do add up.

I think a commercial "hauler" would be way too expensive for your situation. Maybe adjust the travel distance each day to her comfortable driving distances.

If you have a couple of good CB radios, you can "chat" while she is driving. If you want peace and quiet, you can even turn it down and claim "sunspot interference" or some such... LOL
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
We ful time, and work at a fixed location for 6 months. We have jobs nearby and car pool together. We are making do with one vehicle, but it can get tiresome. Oh well, think I'll go count the money I am saving.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #15
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I agree with Patodonn. You could buy a $2-3000 vehicle, then sell it when done. In that price range, you normally sell for what you paid for it.

My wife and I are planning on hiking the Appalachian trail this year and, after much consideration, we will be doing the 2 car thing and leapfrogging along. Then, we will sell it when done, go to the West coast, and do it again.

Just relax and enjoy. Everything has a solution.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #16
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Here is a solution that is a little out of the box but works for several fulltimers.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2390...59039696vTVhyY
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #17
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
WOW!!!! Thats my kind of rig, now we only need a space for boat.
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #18
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Virgil47 -
What a great idea!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great idea and I guess Bubba and Little Joe just lift that little Smart car onto the tarmac when it is time to go into town for more beer. LOL great pic.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #20
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Back in 2004, I saw one of those cars in Belgium. They are SO Cute
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote