Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
What is the "life" expectancy of a Montana

We were wondering what an average/reasonable "life expectancy" we could project that we may get out of a new Montana. We realize if you take proper care of it is going to make a difference. Please also keep in mind, we won't be traveling much at all our first couple years and staying in one spot/CG for at least six months at a time, until we are able to get the proper TV we need at least. (We need to stay in Michigan, near my elderly father.) We are looking at living in it year-round locally though.

Sandi & John & 3 Shih Tzu from Michigan (2 adult sons, 1 DIL)
Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You can determine that by analysizing your car buying habits over the years. Some people trade frequently, while others keepum till the wheels fall off. I tend to be in the latter group. I want to squeeze ever bit of the life out of a thing before I throw it out. I guess it is because I am Scot and we are known for squeezing.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I don't honestly believe that anyone can project a life expectancy out of any RV. Of course the quality of our Montanas should give us a bit more longevity over the lesser rigs.

It all comes down to care and maintenance and how we use our rigs. We have Montys on here that were built in 1998 and are still going strong but I have also seen some 03 and 04 models that looked like they were about to fall apart.

You take care of it and it will take care of you and hopefully for many years to come.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
My last rig lasted 34 years,it was not in the best of shape in fact the walls were sagging because of the way it was built they used wood for floor joists. I looked for 2 years at all the companies out there and most still do. I plan on living 30 plus years in this unit so I went with metal all the way.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Crandallbradley, so you have a Montana? If so which year and model?

Thanks!

Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
How long an rv will last is up to you. It all comes down to you, and how well you maintain and service your coach. The more time and money you spend on "keeping" your rv up to date and looking good, the longer it should last you.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I go with the care and maint folks.Take care of your camper and it will take care of you.Our previous camper was in its 11th season and was in perfect condition. The Montana is , in general, of good quality and if you keep up the maint and do some preventative maint it should serve you for a long time.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since Montanas are relatively new - 8-9 years - who knows. Like anything else keeping it up as Dave and Rich have said will make a difference. If you go to a Rally, ask to see some of the earlier units and you'll see how nice they still are.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
I am sure the Montana with a bit of care will last 15-20 years with not problem. How long will you last in the Montana is a better question....advice, stay away from the camping shows and dealerships else the upgrade bug will get you...

06 F350 4wd PSD Crew
06 Mountianeer 34PHT
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
If we buy the Montana, it may be the last RV we ever buy as it may be the last one we can afford.

If it could stand up to full-time living for 10 years, I would be happy with that. We take good care of things so it sounds like we should be able to expect it to last that long at least.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Agree that Maint & Care go a long way in determining how long a RV will last, but it depends on how it is used. If you go a a couple of trips a year and stick to main road, it will last longer than fulltiming where you go to Alaska and Canada in the summers and Mexico in the winters and all spots inbetween. Our first 5W lasted 11 years and it had been ridden hard and put away wet quite often. For those of us who use our 5Ws hard, think that about seven years is a good place to get a new rig (our Montana probably will last longer than most since we've replace most of it already). Appliances start to go in that time span and the appliance mfrs. come up with one or two new generations of appliances in that time frame. Carpets start to wear as does the running gear. Considering what we paid for our last 5W, what we paid for the Montana, what we got for a trade-in and maint on the rigs (so far), it has cost us about $300 a month to own a 5W.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
How long ours will last, depends on when the DW sees something she likes more than the one we have now.
The last one lasted 18 months.

BEFORE

AFTER

J & D

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/global/stations/71892.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, British Columbia Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #13
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Mo, your post was extremely helpful and brought up an issue we hadn't given much thought to - what it REALLY costs to live in one of these full-time - meaning the upkeep. Like you said, and even like with a home, you are going to have repairs, replacements and maintenance costs to figure in. I guess that is true no matter where you live unless you are renting, so I suppose in some ways it is no different. However, it certainly is an important fact to not be taken lightly and/or overlooked.

John, you are too funny! Loved seeing your "progression photos". Going to RV shows or even dealerships can be a very costly outing we have found. I even have to watch husband going to get his oil changed in his truck as he will be out wandering the dealership lot and the next thing you know we have a new truck! I tell him every time he IS just going to get the oil changed and not a new truck! LOL

Old 08-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #14
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Sandi,

John sounds like my kind of guy. Not sure about oil changes, but went out to pick up some groceries once and came
back to show the DW a new truck. I think at our age ( mine anyways ) you just forget what you were actually going out for in the first place. But it works both ways. I like to buy trucks & the DW likes to buy trailers. We were meant to be together.

John

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/global/stations/71892.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, British Columbia Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Wannabe
2007 319BHD just two mounths.I plan on living in it until I die,30 years or so.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #16
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
"John, you are too funny! Loved seeing your "progression photos". Going to RV shows or even dealerships can be a very costly outing we have found. I even have to watch husband going to get his oil changed in his truck as he will be out wandering the dealership lot and the next thing you know we have a new truck! I tell him every time he IS just going to get the oil changed and not a new truck! LOL"

Happened to us to--husband went to get oil change in my company car--came home saying he had a new truck and needed me to take him over to pick it up later that day.

Paul and Jan Kelpe
Omaha, NE
2005 Mountaineer 298RLS
2005 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 4x4 ext cab with Duramax/Allison

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/NE/Omaha.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Omaha, Nebraska Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote