Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Montana_2397

M.O.C. #2397
Mail Forwarding Service-THE BEST

My wife and I have been using the best forwarding service around for over a year and a half. I do not work for them but very reliable and top of the line. Worth the time and effort to set up an account. You can go online website and see your mail forward or trash your mail. Any time. Have them forward as many times as you wish. Once a week, three times a week, 10 times a month. You choose.
site: My RV mail forwarding . http://www.myrvmail.com
John & Trudy

Montana_2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Montana_2397

M.O.C. #2397
The service shows who the mail is from and who it is from. You can forward what mail you want and trash the rest each time you want the mail forwarded. It is sent Prority Mail or Express you choose. My average is $3.85.
Montana_2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
Sounds like they have a great system set up for fulltimers. I think many of us cannot wait for the day when we are on the road "fulltiming" and have to wait for our "mail" to catch up to us. =) I hope you continue to have outstanding service from them in the future.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sorry but I think we have THE BEST mail forwarding service for full timers. She pics up our mail at the post office, sorts out the bulk rate junk and calls us about what is left. If need be she reads the mail we are not sure about. Unless it is my Meds, we usually tell her to hang onto it until winter when we get to Florida. Whenever she calls she uses the same carrier (Verizon) we use and so the call is FREE. If we do need a package mailed to us she usually pays the postage and will not accept anything in return. And so the entire service she provides is FREE. Now beat that service if you can.

Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that our mail forwarder is Lorraine's niece.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn,
You are very lucky to have such a great set up going, and the best part is that four letter word. F R E E !!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sometimes, if you have a reliable relative, mail service can be very economical. Other mail services....well, I've checked out a lot of them and settled for the Escapees RV Club Mail Service. The entire service is bonded and everyone who works there is also bonded. I had a discussion with one of the mail services in SDak and the answers the man gave me were not satisfactory. I asked him what would happen if the two of them would die. He said, "Well, we're not dead yet." They turned out to be more expensive with less service than the Escapees Mail Service.

Any mail service you select must be reliable and trustworthy.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I had a discussion with one of the mail services in SDak and the answers the man gave me were not satisfactory.
Orv
Orv,
We are choosing a mail service now, to which of the mail services in SD did you speak?

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I had a discussion with one of the mail services in SDak and the answers the man gave me were not satisfactory.
Orv
Orv,
We are choosing a mail service now, to which of the mail services in SD did you speak?
Alternative Resources at www.alternativeresources.net. Now, there are other RVers who use this source and are very happy with the service. But for us, I was a little uneasy when they acted as though there would never be a problem. The fact that they felt nothing would ever happen to them made me feel as though I needed something a little more affirmative.

Don't let my experience throw you off, but just check out all the mail services well before you settle on one. It's not only a matter of cost, but also of the ability to get service. You want a service that you can trust to open any mail to check it for you when you ask. Like I said before, our mail service works very well and I've never had a problem getting my mail no matter where we are in the US, whenever I desire it sent. If you'd like to discuss this further, PM me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also are with Alternative Resources and have been very pleased with them the 3 1/2 years they've provided our mail service. Taxes is the other reason we chose South Dakota. No state income tax, no personal property tax, no investments tax (what do they call that in Florida?) and only a 3% excise tax on the trade difference when you trade vehicles or RV's. And the 3rd lowest insurance rates in the country. And a state that welcomes people like us. That's not to say other states aren't equally good, but South Dakota is a good choice in my book.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I concur with sreigle 110%!!!

Gin & I(Geminis)
Where ever we go, there we are.
2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Montana 3400RL
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
I concur with the SD responses and Alt Res, especially w/the tax bene's that Steve mentioned. It has worked great for us the past 2 years. Oh, and also the mail processing w/o a hitch.

Jim

Jim & Marilyn Rang
2004 2500 CC Silverado SRW Duramax/Allison
2005 3650 Montana RK
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #12
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
We appreciate everyone's input. While we are Escapee members, it looks like the Alternative Resources and the tax implications (or lack thereof) of being citizens of SD are better for our situation. As we return to Georgia from Alaska, we think we have decided to go through Souix Falls, SD and sign up. We're both still struggling with "selling the perfect house" and becoming fulltimers. Thanks again for your input.

Virgil & Jo Allmond
1997 F250HD 4X4 Crewcab Shortbox 7.3 PSD, 214,000+miles
Manual, Superchip, K&N aircharger, Pyrometer,
5" Exhaust,SuperGlide 16K,Honda EU2000i,

STICK HOUSE IS IN Suches, GA

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN Ninilchik, Alaska

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Ever wonder why a child can't read a Bible in school but can in prison?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have been with this service for a year now and it has been wonderful it is in Rapid City SD which was closer for us to get our licence's and a nice visit to the area. this county also has No axle tax and will not charge for reg. if they dont do it. It is all in where and what you want.

americas-mailbox.com

Bob & Lee
U.S.ARMY(Retired)Full time since 2 January 2004
2004 3685FL 1997 F250HD,460, Ext Cab,Auto,4X4
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I wanted to go with AR in SD before my truck and Montana purchase. Unfortunately, I am still technically on Workers comp until next Jan/Feb, when I can "officially" retire. I just thought that my W/C lady in Lansing might freak out a little if she saw an address change from Michigan to South Dakota come across her desk. The line of thinking with W/C is that you are waiting for a doctor to clear you to go back to work. A move half way across the country does not normally indicate that you are following their line of thinking, if you know what I mean...

Once we are "officially" retired, we will look into SD mail forwarding services for the tax reasons.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you are traveling you could still use A/R for mail forwarding without becoming SD residents. I'm not sure how you'd handle mail from w/c though.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It might be workable, but I just decided not to take a chance on rocking the only income "boat" I had at the moment.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #17
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,
How far is it over to Northport from Bellaire? I have a good friend who retired with me from Upjohn down in Kalamazoo who now lives in Northport.

Virgil & Jo Allmond
1997 F250HD 4X4 Crewcab Shortbox 7.3 PSD, 215,000+miles

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN Talkeetna, Alaska

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Old 08-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As the crow flies, I could throw a stone and hit it. As the car drives, about an hour. Around the Grand Traverse Bays (East Bay and West Bay) and through Traverse City - especially in the summer - will slow you WAY down.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:20 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Virgil and Joe, just a point for fyi, we also are escapees members as well as a/r. I think there are a lot who have both. I use escapees for the cg discounts.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 AM   #20
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Steve,

I'm a little sensitive about my wife's name. HER name is Jo, not Joe. SHE isn't at all sensitive but me...for some reason, I have trouble being married to JOE.

We just joined Escapees and have saved a few dollars so far even up here in Alaska. (The nicest RV park in Anchorage, Anchorage RV Pk supports Escapees) I initially joined because I had been using their forum, especially their HDT forum. Like here, there is a ton of info available for those of us who have little experience. But then as I began to meet some of them, just like here, there are a bunch of great folks there also.

Miss Jo and I are really enjoying this "longtiming" session we're having in the fiver and are really struggling with whether to sell out "perfect" home or not. Today, we're leaning in the 'sell' direction.

Thanks again for all of your info. I have been paying attention for about a year now.

Virgil & Jo Allmond
1997 F250HD 4X4 Crewcab Shortbox 7.3 PSD, 215,000+miles

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN Talkeetna, Alaska

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog