Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
HOW MANY YEARS WILL MY MONTANA

STAY SHINEY ON THE OUTSIDE...IF I WASH THE OUTSIDE WITH THE "WASH & WAX" TYPE PRODUCTS ONLY? I SEE DIFFERENT TRAILERS THAT ARE CHAULKY LOOKING AND I DON'T WANT THAT IF I CAN HELP IT...

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have only had the Monty less than a year. But our last trailer was fiberglass sided and it stayed nice and shiny for the 5 years we owned it. I did wash and wax it at least once a year and some years twice though.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:46 AM   #3
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
A good wax job helps a lot! Waxing a rig is A LOT OF WORK but worth the time. Easier to keep clean and looks great!.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The more you wash and wax your coach the better it will stay looking new longer. I put 2 coats of paste wax on the coach when I brought it home for the 1st time. I use the spray on wash and wax for every cleaning throughout the year. Would have put another coat of wax on this fall but have shoulder problems at moment so that will have to wait till spring. I also put the aerospace 303 on the decals, they claim it will keep them from fading and cracking in the sun and heat.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Montana Sky where did you find the Aerospace 303 solution for the decals? That sounds like a good deal it it really protects the decals. That is usually the first think on any RV that seems to fade and start peeling.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I got mine at my dealership, but saw it in camping world while I was heading through IL. last month. I am not sure if it works or not but I guess time will tell.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
Montana_2895
Established Member

M.O.C. #2895
We've only had our Montana a year but we had a smaller fifth wheel for five years before stepping up.

Cleaning our rig after each trip and covering it between paid off handsomely for us when we traded in the smaller one for our Montana! The dealer was impressed by how nice it looked. I pass a number of RV's in driveways on my way to work and I sadly watch the deterioration progress in the uncovered ones . Same with boats. Clean, wax and cover regularly to protect your investment.

Hope this helps. I know I'm picking up some of that decal wax treatment suggested in this forum! Thanks.
Montana_2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I also put the aerospace 303 on the decals, they claim it will keep them from fading and cracking in the sun and heat.
Hi~
We've used 303 on our rig since taking delivery. Applying (or having it applied) about every 3-6 months. Our front decals still shrank and peeled. Bad enough that we are now in the process of removing them.
Probably defective decals, who knows.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gail and Larry,
Sorry to hear your having problems with your decals, have you contacted Keystone about this? I will admit that checking out the decals is on the top of my inspection list for when the coach comes out of the garage. To the best my memory can recall, I have not noticed anything unusual about the decals peeling, cracking or shrinking yet. This is something that will make me red around the collar if I find I am having the same problem. Will let you know what I find next month.