Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Montana_2771
Established Member

M.O.C. #2771
Its here, Its finally here

Hello all, hope you are all enjoying your 3 day weekend. I am now officially a 2005 3400RL montana owner. HooRay So am I crazy that I want to stay in it even though it is sitting out in front of the house?
LOL. OK so maybe I am just a little bit excited. Anyway I have a bunch of questions and I know I will continue to have more. First off I need to supplement my husbands disability by about $1200 a month. Is this doable as say a camphost or something like that? Next stocking our new home. I use china and glass dishes at home, bad idea in 5er? What are some things that I should stock in the 5er? So just some basic do and dont's would be helpful. I know I will forget alot of things. Any and all suggestions are deeply appreciated. My husband has a collasped nerve in his neck and shoulder. He is a chronic pain sufferer. He can help me do about anything but not for long as the pain gets pretty bad. So it will be me doing most of the work. I just love this form and all the information I have obtained from it already. I even helped sell a montana to another customer at my dealership when I went in to pick mine up by being able to answer some of their questions and give them added insight to the montana from information I got here. ( I sure hope they give me a commission )

Montana_2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Whoopee!! I can hear the excitement in your post! Congrats on your new "wheel estate"! Can't answer your $$ supplement question but will try to help you out a little with other ideas. We use Corelle for our dishes along with paper plates for outdoor dining and when on the road. I went to a kitchen supply shop (either Bed Bath n Beyond or Linens N Things) and purchased some of the plastic zip cases used for storing good china. Very inexpensive and they have a case for plates, cups, and even wine glasses. I wanted this extra protection for travel since we have the rear kitchen. I also have found my electric skillet, griddle, steamer/fryer quite useful for outdoors. A small folding stepstool for reaching those top cabinet shelves. Put in what you think you will need and as you go you will find yourself taking some things out and adding others. Just remember to keep it simple. You are embarking on a great adventure! May you have many happy miles
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey, Hey, congratulations on "ownership". The adventure begins! Actually, living in it while it is in you drive way is not a bad idea. You will find out what you use and/or need, so just go get it and put it in the rig. After about a week of that, you may have it fairly well stocked.

You may need to rely on your hubby to tell you what to take in the way of tools if he is or was a do-it-yourselfer. Somewhere in my former posts, you will find a tool list that I generated.

As far as dishes are concerned, we carry a four place setting of our best china. Our reasoning comes from dealing with my mother's death some years ago. My two brothers and I were going through things in mother's cedar chest after the funeral. We found things like fine linens that we had never even seen. She had put them away to be used on some special occasion. It never came. Some became soiled or spoiled while in the chest and so were never to be used by anyone.

I vowed to use the best regularly so that every day can be a special day. If we break them, we have eight more place settings in storage, but even if we didn't have replacements in storage, we would still use them.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your new coach. I hope you are able to enjoy your new 3400RL as much as I have mine. As for the dish question, I use the corelle plates and bowls as well. ALl the plates go right into the dinning room chair bottoms and fit perfectly. I put the bowls and some of the large serving trays in a box in the closet to the left of the door for travel. I do have some glasses that I placed in the bottom drawer to the left of the sink. The rest of the plastic cups and what have you go up the in the cabinet. Have not had any trouble with traveling with any of the dish sets yet. I say bring them along, the 3400RL travels so well down the road that I do not even lay my high back computer desk chair down, and it is always standing when we get to our destination. Again, congrats on the new coach and enjoy!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
We carry Corelle as well. We use paper quite a bit but neither of us really likes to cut up steaks on paper.

What we do to help prevent breakage is to place a square of the anti-skid material between each plate and bowl. Haven't broken anything yet... The glasses are kept in a cardboard box that keeps them all apart. We mostly drink out of plastic cups.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Congratulations on the new coach. We have really loved ours and we are sure you will love yours too. Best of luck.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:47 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We use ironstone in our 3255, glasses, mugs, wine glasses, etc. All the dishes go in the cabinet above the dining table. I lined the cabinet with the non-stick material and have a square of it between all the plates, bowls, etc. The cabinet is pretty full, so we haven't had any problems with shifting - once in a while a wine glass tips over, but have not broken anything yet. We also use paper plates for light meals and eating outside. This arrangement worked in our TT also. I'm still in the process of stocking our 5th wheel, but am trying to keep it essential, simple, and lightweight where I can. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Congrats! We took out Mountaineer out for the first time this weekend...know just how you feel! (...and, NO, you are not nuts for wanting to use it at the house! I spent several hours in ours watching TV in the driveway last week! "Yeah, honey, I'm doing some small repairs.", is what I told Cheryl). We went with the Correlle dished, too. As well, we found some very nice looking plastic glasses at Crate & Barrel's online shop (they look just like glass from 2 feet away!). There's so much really good plastic ware out there, you should never have to buy glass again. As a side note (staying with the kitchen theme), we've found the Wal-Mart in our neighborhood is now carrying pre-cooked chopped chicken and ground beef in foil pouches (this may not be new to some areas). We've found that they are a snap to cook up and need no refrigeration. This is saving us a ton of storage and time, and they only cost a little more per pound than fresh. Look for the pouches in the tuna aisle.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Pete ... the meat in foil pouches comment caught my attention. The small refrigerator/freezer in the Montana will always be an issue with me (the new Cambridge has full-size house-type refrigerators ... heavy sigh) so if we could find an acceptable substitute for at least some of our meat, it would be great. We're wondering though ... how does it taste?

Oh, and we also use Corelle and went with acrylic glasses from Target (gotta love that store!). In almost two years we've only had one casualty in the kitchen-ware-category ... a Corning Ware skillet (which was so old I haven't been able to find a replacement) ... but it was early on in our "adventure" and I had not used any "precautions" for travel. I do use squares of the non-skid stuff, but only in the stuff made of glass, like measuring cups and mixing bowls. So far, so good.

I think the key to full-timing in any rig is to make it your own ... that is, use your own personal touches/belongings to keep it from being just another camper-off-the-assembly-line.

Most importantly ... have fun!

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our experience is that dishes travel very well in our mid-kitchen, 3380RL. We do use the short curtain rods to keep the plastic glasses from bouncing around. Having just replaced our everyday dishes, the old ones were perfect for our weekend use and they travel nicely. The dishes are Mikasa, full sized, but they nest very well and are heavy enough to stay put. Try what you have and then replace if you need to. Most will travel well.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We also carry Corelle dishes and plastic glasses but on the rare occasion when we do eat in we most often use paper.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Smurfete -

Congratulations on the 3400. That is our model, also. As for your questions: We have plastic camping dishes and acrylic wine glasses. Corelle would also be light as is China. Some things you will want in your Montana: Tools including cordless drill, wrenches, voltage meter, duct tape, hammer, etc. Also, barbeque grill (gas or charcoal), dutch oven if you like cooking over a fire. Are you going to use a dish or regular antenna? Woodalls or Trailer Life campground guide. Water pressure regulator, extra water hose and sewer hose and supports. Just a few of the things we carry.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Sorry, everyone....this is at least the third thread where I've gone off into left field on the topic. I find the writing much like the travels...never sure where we're gonna end up (we rarely pick a destination, and usually only know the direct at the end of the driveway). To answer Viki: The chicken is very good, the Mexican Beef is roughly Taco Bell quality (I like Taco Bell, so I may be a poor panellist on this one), and, although we haven't opend the pack yet, we're assuming the ground beef will be like the Mexican without as much flavoring.

Smurfete- Spent another two evening in the RV in the driveway this week. This is just too much fun! Heck, my wireless connection even follows me out there......If you're crazy, they'll have to lock us all away!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #14
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We use regular china, it is suppossed to be unbreakable, and non skid liners on the shelves. Nothing has broken or moved drastically yet. We have a electric frying pan, griddle combination which I use a lot. The pan is large enough to cook stews, soups etc. Can use it indoors or out (weather permitting) It has a stand it all fits into for easy storage ie it stands on its side. A stool is a must for the high cupboards! Square cannisters are much easier to fit in if you can find them. It is amazing what you can fit in. Good Luck!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote