Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Drivers License Renewal

We got a renewal for my wifes drivers license, we called the Oregon DMV. We told them we are in New Mexico and working and what can we do? They said you must appear in person and show your ssn and birth certificate and marriage license and proof of Address. Has all the States gone to this? It looks like its from the Home Land Security office. My DW will have to take about 10 days and rent a car and go the 1500 miles one way and back to get her license renewed. I just sent $263.00 for two years registration for the Tana to Oregon and the Dodge is licensed until 2010, also my License is good until 2013. Has anyone ran into this snafoo? Later randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Marriage License?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think that we can still renew by mail in Texas unless, for some reason, they demand you show up in person (driving record or age, etc.). Oregon is Oregon though.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Cathy and I had to return to Alaska last year to do the same thing. Could only renew in person, only had to show current ID and fill out a new form. I think we just showed our current drivers license. This was in July of '08. They renewed us for 5 years...We flew to Juneau and was back in three days. Didn't even rent a car while there, just used a taxi and bus. After living in Alaska for 14 years, we had never made it to Juneau so we had a nice time. Short and sweet.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Just get her a New Mexico license? Sounds too simple huh?
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Did you know if you live in Alaska and you are over 65 you get one vehicle license for free? So my brother chose his diesel pusher MH. Now it costs him more to license his old boat trailer than his big MH.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

I think that we can still renew by mail in Texas unless, for some reason, they demand you show up in person (driving record or age, etc.). Oregon is Oregon though.
Stiles, you are correct. You can renew via e-mail except if you are renewing a CDL. Then you must appear in person.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
If we just get her licensed here in New Mexico, we leave in Sept, won't we just have to do it all over again every 5 to 6 months as we are workamping for the next 4 to 6 years. That is why we got a classafication from Oregon as Continuous Travelers and have a Mail Service out of Oregon.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
This has to do with the Real ID Act. Not all states have signed on yet. Tennessee was one of the first (damn). I got caught by it last year. You need to prove you are a US citizen. I had a SIL who knew a Senator who pulled a few strings. All states are suppose to go to this system.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In California, there are random times when you are required to show up in person to verify your driver's license. It happened to me twice in my 30+ years of driving, no test, they just wanted to see my ugly face to confirm who I am and with a name like Martinez in Southern California, I can't say I blame them.

I suppose other states might do this. This has been going on for decades. Maybe the frequency has changed, but it still goes on.

I guess for a full timer, this has got to be a real pain especially if your timing is poor and you are on the other side of the country.

Note to self, if I ever full time, register in South Dakota to be centrally located (covers me in case I'm in Alaska). I am not worred about Hawaii because I can't drive my rig there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
jjackflash ... Since it's a married woman renewing the license, her birth certificate would not have the correct surname. Hence, the need for a certified marriage certificate to confirm the surname on the marriage license matches the one on the driver's license.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Also in Oregon when you go in to get your license you only get a piece of paper, they send the "real" thing to you in the mail. They are doing this to make sure you are who you say you are. Blame all the illegal people coming into America for that one.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Randye Here, Thanks for the input, We have decided to call the 6th of July which is the DW Birthday and get the 60days extendtion them sometime in August we will take a 8 to 10 day Mini vacation and Travel back to Southern Or. My DW needs to see her Nurologist(sp?) So it will kill two birds with one stone. Thanks again.