Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Glacier Natl Park CG recs

We are currently at the Rafter J Bar in the Black Hills as a result of MOC recommendations and it is fabulous. We are heading to Glacier next and then on into Canada and Bannf.
Looking for CG recommendations in these areas and any tips about where NOT to drive the 3400. Thanks

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The KOA in West Glacier is fab if you can get the grassy pull throughs. They had a great steakhouse on site too. There are pics on our website that you can see.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Mountain Meadow RV Park in Hungry Horse, MT is wonderful and is only about 12 miles from the west entrance to Glacier.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ditto Mountain Meadow RV Park in Hungry Horse. That's where we'd go if we go to Glacier again. Good friends of ours are at that park as we speak. Second time there for them. HamRad recommended it to us originally.

By the way it's only 9 miles to the gate at Glacier. Vicki originally asked me and I told her I think it was 12. I just checked and I was wrong. It's 9 miles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks for posting the name of the park. I'd forgotten. All I could remember is Hungry Horse. I though we'd looked at all the parks around that area but don't remember the KOA. But I certainly recommend Mountain Meadow. That is where we'll stay when we go back.

Dennis

Steve and Vicki does this look familiar?

Stormy was excited about the fish jumping in the pond. He was looking back at me as if to ask me why he couldn't get out and play with whatever was in the water!
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
WE are in the North American Park in West Glacier, Suggest you DO NOT use it!! Lots of empty sites.
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
San-Suz-Ed Montana R.V. Park is where we stayed. A nice park and one that we would use again if we ever get back to Glacier.
The park is just 2 1/2 miles from the west entrance.

AND to really enjoy the park without the hassle of driving I strongly suggest the FREE** Glacier's Shuttle System. You get to see all the great views, get on or off along the route and not worry about finding a place to park and most importantly the other idiots on the road.

**why burn your fuel to go up and down that mountain when they are only to happy to burn their's??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We stayed at the KOA on the east side in 2007 and it was very well run and close to the east entrance (about 3 miles). Also they had evening meals and a breakfast if I remember correctly. The Glacier shuttle is the best thing going so everyone can see the sites and not focus on the drop offs and the road! Have a great time in Glacier--be sure to take a few hikes if you have time.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In east Glacier we, too, stayed at the KOA. When we go back we will stay in the park that is up the hill with a fantastic view of the park. Can't remember the name but they have a great view of the valley and they also have a nice mom and pop type cafe. Johnsons! That's the name.

The park is not as neat looking as KOA but still very nice with a lot of grassy areas and small trees.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We arrived in Johnsons RV Park in St Mary's a little while ago. The view is lovely up here on the hill, however the sites are uneven and tight, but doable.

Expecting 60 mile an hour winds......................
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We stayed at Timber Wolf Resort in Hungry Horse a few weeks ago. Do NOT stay there unless high prices, narrow unlevel spaces, dust and no place to put out your chairs is your preference.

I used 19' 6" of my 20' sewer hose, and still couldn't get the rig very level in that position. Wish we could have found a place in the immediate area to boondock, but this was a quick trip stop-over.

Here is a link that gives reviews of local campgrounds.

http://tinyurl.com/5z4bkk
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
We also stayed at Johnson's. Good views and nice family run CG. It's also on the right side for side trip to Waterton NP (don't miss it) and for continuing north to Lethbridge, Calgary, and Banff. Stop at the "Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump interative center! Very interesting and well done. Good RV parking, too. Enjoy! BTW, you may see snow in Banff, and I don't mean just on the mountains. We did, in August of '05!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Robb, what is wrong with North American RV Park?
Aug 5th & 6 park was full
Aug 7th 4 avail spaces
Aug 8th 7 avail spaces
Aug 9 & 10 emptying park for group arrival
Aug 11th Park full
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

We stayed at Timber Wolf Resort in Hungry Horse a few weeks ago. Do NOT stay there unless high prices, narrow unlevel spaces, dust and no place to put out your chairs is your preference.

I used 19' 6" of my 20' sewer hose, and still couldn't get the rig very level in that position. Wish we could have found a place in the immediate area to boondock, but this was a quick trip stop-over.

Here is a link that gives reviews of local campgrounds.

http://tinyurl.com/5z4bkk
Robbie, just wondering how you go about leveling your rig with the sewer hose????
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

Funny, reread that one too.....Think if I had 30 feet of sewer hose it would never have been in a position where we could get the coach level.

oh yeah, and the sewer hose ran uphill...
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote