Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Black Hills

Does anyone have a recommendation on a nice campground in the Black Hills. The last time we were there we didn't really care for where we stayed and if you look online there are so many. So what better way to find a great place than to ask your MOC buddies??

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mac,

When we were in the area a few years back we stayed just south of Hill City. We stayed at a place called Rafter Bar J or something similar. It is a nice park. It is HUGE! But the sites are a bit rustic. Full hookups and no problems with anything. We would stay there again even if they are a bit pricey. Compared to some other parks we saw the spaces at Bar J are very large.

It is a beautiful part of the country and one can easily spend a lot of time checking everything out. Enjoy.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Mac,

We have stayed at Elk View twice and enjoyed it. Large sites, full HU and reasonable.
It is 5 miles from Sturgis, 15 from Deadwood, and about the same from Rapid City.
The park is at exit 37 on 90. Their saying is a little bit of heaven at exit 37. http://www.elkviewcampground.com/
July 30 to Aug 11 is bike week in Sturgis. Not a good time to be near here unless you are a biker.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I second the reccomendation for Rafter Bar J in Hill City. Very nice park. Try to get a site in the island section if you go.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We stayed at Rafter Bar J and definetly would go back. Sites are spacious and if you want WI-FI signal you will have to be in the Base Camp and it is also the closest to the pool. Any of the other areas would be good also but farther from the pool and office. Be sure to take in the breakfast if you go there.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Thanks for all your advise, sounds like everyone agrees that the Rafter Bar J is a great place. I normally don't like huge places but we'll take a look at the website. I'm trying to load ElkGrove as I type so I'll check that one out too. I think we stayed a place called something like Presidents resort and the spaces were pretty small geared more towards the older units and also the cabin people.

mac
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
We have stayed at Kemps Kampground just outside of Keystone when we go to the Sturgis motorcycle rally. It is a nice small campground
1022 Old Hill City Rd (888-466-6282)
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We stayed at Crooked Creek Resort, just up the road from Rafter Bar J. But we would probably not go back to that park. Next time it will be Rafter Bar J, most likely. We had to go to Rafter Bar J for propane and liked what we saw. Crooked Creek wasn't really that bad, it was just a very tight fit for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
chuckdedog

M.O.C. #6937
[quote]Originally posted by Mac

Does anyone have a recommendation on a nice campground in the Black Hills. The last time we were there we didn't really care for where we stayed and if you look online there are so many. So what better way to find a great place than to ask your MOC buddies??

mac
WE stayed at the Crooked Creek just south of Hill City a couple of fall's ago because it was a passport america and was cheap. Three other 5th wheels (not Montana's, but one was a Cougar), the hosts made us feel at home and we didn't have any trouble with the 32 ft. If you go, take the train ride from Hill City to I think it was Keystone. But that is my opinion.
chuck
chuckdedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chuck, same reason we stayed at Crooked Creek (PA). But the put us in that area with the pullthrus on the south end. We were so close to our neighbors I had to turn sideways to pass between our slide and theirs. And their sewer connection was right next to our step. We were told that's where they put PA people unless it's full down there. That was a few years ago, though. So maybe new management or they just changed policies.

There's a KOA over by Keystone, I think it is. Haven't stayed there but it looks nice and friends like it. We don't normally like KOA's but there are a few we feel are ok.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Thanks to all that recommended the Rafter J Bar, it's a wonderful campground, very spacious, and close to everything. After staying at two other spots around the area this one is by far the best! Thanks again to all. I was hoping my old buddy Dave (Montana Sky) would join us but I haven't heard from him in a while.

mac