Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Roof cleaning

I tried the Awsome brand cleaner. It sure worked great. My roof is almost pure white now. I have a 2003 Montana, and it's been outside most of it's life. The campground I am at, they don't want you to use a hose to clean the campers, so I used a bucket and scrub brush and rag to wipe off. I had stains from leaves, and they came off. Some of them I had to spray twice, but it came off. I could not get the black mold spots off. They are pretty small and hardly noticeable anyway. I would not use it on the sides and not rinse it off. Could discolor surface or dull it. You can get Awsome cleaner in spray bottle at the Dollar Store...and ya, it only costs a dollar. Best buck I ever spent. That rubber roof cleaner stuff is crap compared to this Awsome

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Rog

I tried the Awsome brand cleaner. It sure worked great. My roof is almost pure white now. I have a 2003 Montana, and it's been outside most of it's life. The campground I am at, they don't want you to use a hose to clean the campers, so I used a bucket and scrub brush and rag to wipe off. I had stains from leaves, and they came off. Some of them I had to spray twice, but it came off. I could not get the black mold spots off. They are pretty small and hardly noticeable anyway. I would not use it on the sides and not rinse it off. Could discolor surface or dull it. You can get Awsome cleaner in spray bottle at the Dollar Store...and ya, it only costs a dollar. Best buck I ever spent. That rubber roof cleaner stuff is crap compared to this Awsome
I'd be a little leery of using Awesome on my Dicor roof. If something happens to the roof, Dicor may not warrant it. I don't know what is in Awesome but I hope it doesn't contain any type of petroleum product.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I don't think it's a petroleum product. It is water soluable, and was not disolving any of the roof material. I looked at RV.net and that's what they said to use. I've heard of people using bleach and simple green too, but that I think is petro based, and kinda harse.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think most of our roofs around here are PURE WHITE already - considering they have about 30" of snow on top of them!

Ahh, dreaming of a place where I could think about cleaning my roof!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thetfords Rubber Roof Cleaner works very well. Dicor has their own roof cleaning products that are out. A nice white roof always makes the coach look great, and helps keep the black streaks down. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dicor's website and literature used to suggest Dawn dishwashing liquid. That was before they came out with their own products.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Steve, if you remember the Dicor rep said to use Dawn even though they came out with their own. He said Dawn was what he recommended, but people kept insisting Dicor should come out with their own cleaner. He gave us some and I haven't tried it yet, I still use Dawn. May have to try it this spring so I can compare the two cleaners!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
I just complete my first DAWN ROOF CLEANING PROJECT. I hear many people proclaim that their roof was RESTORED TO A ALL WHITE CONDITION...

I found the DAWN & some elbow green made quite a difference, but I still have foot prints left over after the cleaning...

Normal ?
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
RLVoumard, this was the same with me. I just went back over it and no more foot prints...The hardest thing for me was to get down...(I hate heights with nothing to hold onto)
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:39 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Oh! Dear! I can't get Don up on the roof to put the
AC covers on!
How am I going to get him to clean the roof? Last time we hired it done. I am very afraid of heights so I won't do it. We had the outside of the coach detailed for $200. Well worth it. Washed, waxed and buffed. Took 4 guys almost all day.
They came to the house.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty and Don,

Who did you use for your detail?

Brad
Old 12-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Brad it was Detail King. It was 225.00 instead of even 200. But well worth it for us. They came all way out here to our house to do ours. Did an excellent job. Their phone number is 303-762-9200. We have not used them for a year so I hope they haven't gone up in price because we will need to call them again in spring.
They also did a good job on our roof. He does other motor homes and 5th wheels so he is familiar with rubber roofs. He will use your cleaner or his cleaner on the roof.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Don & Dusty! It's nice to know who to call. Something I would like to try and do every year on this one.

Brad