Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
main air conditioner

Don't know if this will help or not. We have had trouble with our AC freezing. Doesn't take lone either. We have had it to Montana Dealer twice and still freezes. I called Dometic repair person and they are sure it is the freeze control. They ordered the part and are coming out Monday or Tuesday to install it. It is still under warrenty so all we have to pay is the trip cost which is $45 dollars. A man in Parker, CO is a Dometic repair person not to call! He is one rude person! And he charges $75 dollars to go 10 miles. The people coming out next week are coming over 60 miles and they charge $45 dollars! Some difference and they are very nice. They said they have also heard about this grouchy guy and wonder how he can stay in business. I wonder how he gets any business!
We will probably give them extra money for their trip charge because we are happy they are coming all this way.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,
Bedsaver, Doran tire pressure moniter.
2004 Montana 3295. Fireplace,Washer/dryer,2 air conditioners.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dusty,
Keep me updated on how this fix corrects your problem. I have still having a few different bugs w/ my main a/c.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I sure will. They are coming out next week as soon as the part comes in, to install it. I will post after it is done. We have had it to Montana service center 2 or 3 times and they didn't either do anything or check everything because it still froze up. They said they don't know what else to do. But I wonder if they even know what to do to fix it.

Dusty & Don ... Two spoiled schnauzers and a Maine Coon cat. 2500 Dodge Diesel 2003,SLT,

Old 08-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Well that didn't fix our air conditioner!!!! I am very stressed out with this. Dometic doesn't want to do anything and none of the shops want to do anything. Maybe we can get it looked at in another service center that is autorized with Dometic. Montana dealers around here say they are not Dometic autorized repair. I made an appointment with another service center, for 29 of August. Keystone doesn't know what to do with it. Dometic doesn't know what to do with it. I certainly don't know what to do with it
I think the whole air conditioner needs replaced. Looks like we will have to pay to have that done. Dometic warranty is still good for another year too!!
It freezes on any temperature setting.... any fan setting,... any climate we are in. Dry or humid, it doesn't care it will freeze..

Old 08-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am sorry to hear your a/c problem has not been fixed. I was hoping to hear all is well. I have found the only thing that really keeps mine going is by leaving the dump gate open. If I close the gate and have the air go through the ceiling vents, it will freeze up. If I leave it set in the "on" position and "high" fan setting along with the dump gate open, it will run. Keep me updated after your next appt to see if they can fix the problem.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Well the Dometic tech called me back tonight and he is going to call Dometic tomorrow and see if they will replace the whole AC. If not then I am taking it to Camping World which is pretty far from us and have them run test on it and then maybe they will replace the AC. I think the Dometic tech can do better talking to Dometic than I can. They just won't listen to me. They told me I didn't know how to operate it. LOL I have been running AC 's since I was born.
Never had any problem running any of our former 5th wheel trailer's AC . Seems like we are going to have to drag it accross Denver area which is far from us anyway to get it fixed or looked at. The Tech lives pretty far too and accross the city but he has a hoist there to lift an AC if we get a new one.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good, sounds like they will take care of you, I hope so.
Interesting problem, I would like to get my grubby fingerprints all over that one. I'd have sensors, gauges, chart recorders, all over it.
Good luck!
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks Ozz. I wish you could get your fingers all over that AC too. I am sure you would know what is wrong with it.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dusty and Don, Sorry to hear about your air conditioner problems...sure hope everything works out and they fix or replace it....How long is the warranty on these? I can't seem to find it in my papers. We run ours on Auto when it is not real hot or humid and it does fine. When hot and humid we run it on high...so far no problems. Please keep us update.

2005 2955RL Montana
2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Ext Cab 4x4
Bob and Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I talked to Dusty on the phone, I am convinced it has a low charge of refrigerant.
When a evaporator coil freezes a portion of the coil, usually 1/3, top or bottom, it has a low charge. The liquid refrigerant flashing to a gas, changing state, happens in the coil under correct operating conditions; design airflow, normal operating conditions for the system, and proper refrigerant charge, the refrigerant exiting the evaporator coil should be all vapor. She has a 1/3 frozen coil, so the low charge drops the temperature low enough to freeze condensate, the remainder of the coil is much warmer.
A uniformly frosted evaporator points to low air flow, it will block the airflow, sound different to the operator.
Most of the problems we face are from low airflow and cycling of the compressor on the freeze stat opening and closing, not the evaporator fan, but the compressor. Much of this is from too much of a restricted airflow caused by the ducting that may be undersized, or restrictive. That's why when the 'Dump' damper is used, the unit cools better (in the immediate area, anyway)
You will notice in your home, the ductwork is big at the furnace, and smaller on the main run further away, this is to keep the proper airflow and pressure in the ducting. Our Rv's have the same dimension ducting all the way. This may restrict airflow.
Good night.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty & Dawn,

If you end up replacing with another brand, let me know how it works out. I'm out of warranty and spank me for not pushing the dealer on mine. It continously freezes and leaks all over the place. I was looking through the CW product reviews and it seems it's a common problem with Dometic. I have the low profile, but the reviews indicate the standard Dometic is even worse and has cooling problems. Most frustrated purchases ended up going to Coleman as the replacement. I discussed replacing mine with a Coleman with the CW service center, but he just looked at me funny. First he said it was impossible because of wiring, then because of the ducting. I returned his funny look and told him that if he doesn't know, just say so.

I'll research it some more, and may end up doing it myself.

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Apologize for spelling - correct to "Dusty & Don"
Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you Bsmeaton.
Don hasn't seen it yet. But he will think it is funny. He has a good sense of humor.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:50 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I am having problems with my Dometic kicking the breaker and not cooling right at times. I have also been looking at a Coleman replacement. Will be interested in any information Brad or Don come up with. I have heard or read more bad feedback on the Dometic A/C units than the Coleman units.

Farmer Don [MOC 3628]
Barbara & Fuzzy (the Bichon)
2001 3280RL
2004 Ford F250
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wouldn't condemn any brand, if you peel off the shrouds, you will find much the same components inside, I would say there isn't very much difference in any of them.
The problem lies in the wiring inside the RV, loose wires, weak breakers, maintenance issues, (Dirty coils on the roof) perhaps a failed start capacitor. And low voltage.
Good luck, I'm in the trade, and I bought and installed a Dometic.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup Camera, Awning lock
Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Farmer Don,
I'll let you know if I find out anything that isn't through the posting.

I would normally agree with you Ozz, but I really think Dometic messed up on this one with the design of the drip tray being too small to overcome the airflow and angle of the mount for the penguin plus some freeze up problems they are having in all models. If I had a unique problem I would turn to Montana, but sounds like it is a more commmon problem than I thought for the early models. Plus I can't ignore the negative reviews through CW, most of which stated they were going back to- or turning to- Coleman.

I'm not through with the Dealer yet, as it has been in twice during the warranty period for the dripping with no resolve. If it ends up being a replacement Dometic, so be it, but if it comes out of my pocket I think I'll steer toward a different brand.

Brad & Dory
Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad,
I see where you are coming from, I am looking at the compressor, contactor, and fan motor, not the design of the plastic drip and drain pan, you have good points. I do think all of these problems should easily be corrected with some simple modifications. Freeze ups are a matter of airflow, sometimes the design of the RV is all about compromise, and can be overcome by a high speed on the fan. I have been involved with commercial HVAC all my life and do not pretend to know all about the smaller RV units, so I can learn as well.
Keep us informed.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup Camera, Awning lock
Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,
I'll bet you are exactly right on the airflow - as I don't remember it ever freezing up with the main vent open on the grille - only when in full duct mode. Perhaps the ducting is just too restrictive, or the intake filter restricts too much. Now you've got me curious and I'm going to play with it some more. At worse case it may become my 2nd AC over the bedroom without ducting, if I can order a non-ducted faceplate for it, or rig a remote thermostat.

Brad & Dory
Old 08-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,
I respect your expertise as I'm sure the smaller systems operate in based on the same principles. I just made an assumption that if the ducting is contributing to the freeze on this penguin, that I could use it as a 2nd AC - however, it is a 15,000 Btuh unit and I think the 2nd AC rough in is only designed for a 13,500 Btuh unit. Could this be overcome by using the low speed on the fan only? - or is there more to it than that (size of compressor, etc)

Brad & Dory
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad,
The more airflow, the less it will be prone to freeze, it should be sized for the 15,000, as I installed a 15,000 Dometic in my bedroom, and the size of the ducting hole was the same as my new unit, no restriction.
Always run on high speed if your system is prone to freeze up. We go by a 20 degree temperature drop in the A/C business, from the supply to the return, on my main ducted unit it is more like 25 to 30 degrees, that alone tells me that the duct work in the ceiling is too small, you can 'cheat' on this by opening the 'dump' damper a little, and duct 60% or so to the rest of your unit, that may be the answer. Use a thermometer to check, 20 degrees should never freeze as long as you don't want it 60 degrees in your RV.
My bedroom unit is not ducted, just from the front unit.
Also, look into the space where the A/C is sitting, many need sealing up there in the ceiling area, lots of holes and gaps.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU