Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
anker

M.O.C. #6267
Cleaning a rubber roof

Anyone have any suggestions on cleaning a rubber roof? I have a 2002 2955RL and the roof is getting pretty dirty. I've tried a few cleaners mixed with water and used a scrub brush, but it doesn't seem to come clean anymore. Thanks

anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have used Thetfords Rubber Roof cleaner and conditioner on my roof for the past 3 summers. Brings it back to a nice white shine. I spray it straight out of the bottle and use a sponge or mop to wash the roof, followed with a nice fresh water rinse. Some folks use dawn dish soap, I found that it does not get my roof as white as I would like. Remember when cleaning the coach, start with the roof first. You will be amazed at how much dirt runs down the sides of your coach.

PS~ Per Dicor, "Do Not use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty."
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I went to an RV dealership parts store today and picked up a rubber roof cleaner/preventative maintenace kit. It costs about $50 and UV protects the roof. The kit is out in the truck now so I can't tell you the brand name, but I would suggest going to a local dealer/supply store. They often have more inventory of specialized products than camping world does.
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No need for any specialized cleaning products for that rubber roof. Get yourself a bottle of Dawn dish washing liquid and go at it. Even Dicor, who has their own cleaner, recommends Dawn.

More often than not your "specialized" cleaning products are nothing more than a lot of the same everyday cleaning products you use around the house. The manufacturer puts a different label on the bottle saying it is specifically designed for RV roofs, black streaks, bugs or wharever and the price goes up 50% because it's supposed to be specifically just for RVs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I've had great luck over the years with Thetford cleaner as well but I've not tried Dawn. Maybe when this bottle runs out I'll try Dawn detergent.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We use Dawn dish soap with great results. I don't know if it gets the roof as "white" as some would like it, but if it's good enough for Dicor to recommend it, then it's good enough for us.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I find myself in full agreement with MontanaSky and Mac about the Thedford product. I have used it exclusively for the 4 years we have had our Montana. We have never had any black streaks and the roof still looks like it did when we bought our RV.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:43 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I use dish soap as well and in the spring I hit it with the expensive stuff from camping world. I haven't noticed any difference, so next year it just gets dish soap.

Montana Sky is right - it never turns totally white so don't break your neck trying. Anything harsher will damage it.

Be careful - it gets slippery up there too! Good idea to check all your caulking at the seems and look for cracks in the PVC stuff. I just noticed my AC shroud is cracked and due to be replaced.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #9
anker

M.O.C. #6267
Ok, thanks folks. I really appreciate the responses and will give Dawn a try first. If I'm not satisfied with the results I'll give Thetford a try. Happy camping!!
anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Also from Dicor rep at the Goshen Rally, use a "medium" stiff bristle brush, something more stiff than a typical car wash brush, he suggested something with a bristle comparable to a toothbrush.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
According to Dicor, a medium stiff brush is essential to get all the dirt etc out of the little dimples in the roofing. Dicor also has some products that are available from distributors. I don't have that info handy right now.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We just use the dish soap, Dawn, Joy, etc, they all are pretty much the same chemical content. I have used a medium soft brush just to be sure to not get it too stiff. The Monty has set out most all this year and we have had very few streaks. I washed the coach a coule weeks back, but not the top. Just didn't feel that it was that bad.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I also called Dicor and asked them if Spic and Span was OK for the roof and they said yes it was mild enough to use. SO I DID and it worked just fine. OH wear a nice pair of sunglasses if you have to get up there and do the job, Keep you from becomeing snowblind ha ha
I found that the area's on the roof around the vents and such where there is CAULKING are the dirtest and that is also what is probably the source of the black stains coming off the room on the side of the Monty.
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Washed mine last weekend. Spic and Span worked fine for me. It removed all the dirt.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John - I agree with you. I think the caulking contributes quite a bit to the black streaks. I get some that initiate from the side accessories that have caulking.

Brad
Old 09-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

You had the best advice of all earlier when you said be careful it's slippery. I couldn't believe how slippery it was up there and the roof slopes so much in the back in got worse.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mac,
I had the truck disconnected because I didn't want that gook dripping on it. You stare over the front and it's a looooong way to the pavement with nothing to grab on the way.

Brad
Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #18
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
When you are using Spic n Span, are you using the liquid? We used to use the powder, but doesn't seem like they make it anymore, as I can only find the liquid now. Thanks.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #19
Montana_4933

M.O.C. #4933
I cleaned my roof yesterday with the Theford...was fairly easy and it seems to bleach the roof out whiter.. and it does
leave a uv protectant...the uv rays are the big deamon here....I work for camping world and we see a lot of bad rubber roofs the black streaking is just part of a rubber roof...its kinda like the tires...tread means nothing its age...I have a 2006 3400RL
Montana_4933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #20
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
One reason I choose to use the Thetford product is that the cost of cleaning material is a small factor in cleaning the roof. The BIG factor is climbing up there and working on the wet and "soapy" serface. So, I choose to use a product formulated for that purpose. It's not that I doubt the suitability of the general cleaning products, it just that I have had such good experience with the Thetford that it makes sense for me to stick with it (as long as I feel able to keep going up there to do the cleaning.)
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote