Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Timbren SES

I got my package with the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System from Michigan Truck Spring yesterday. I think it took me 45 minutes total to take out the stock rubber stops and put the new Timbrens in. The rubber "bumpers" fill the space between the frame and the axle and without the trailer hooked up, they actually raise the back of the truck about an inch. We get the rig out of storage tonight for a long weekend (Santee, CA) so I can see tonight how much additional support they give. After the weekend I'll know more about the ride. Even though we have a 3/4-ton, I got the 1-ton set, the difference being the rating on the "bumpers": 5600# vs. 4000#, as I wanted the extra capacity.

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I have the 2500hd D/A 2005 GMC. Did you have to do any drilling?
I quess the 1 ton set are a bit bigger then as you normally should have 1/2 to 3/4" of space. But that is with no load. You have your hitch in the bed so that will settle the stock suspension a bit. Any other permanent fixtures in there, additional tank etc. Those would of course make the Timbren come into contact with the suspension when trailer is not attached.
Let me know what you think of the ride.
Hopefully it will cushion and smooth the concrete expansion cracks out a good deal.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
No drilling, the brackets use the same mounting holes as the stops that I took out. You may bee right about the difference being the length, I thought it would just be the amount of compression. The order desk at Michigan Truck Springs didn't know the difference. I haven't changed anything else under the bed except the hitch.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We picked up the rig last night and brought it home for loading. I'm glad to report that I at least accomplished the first part of what I wanted from the system, the truck sits much higher in the rear. In fact, it looks like the stock height without a load. In the few miles we drove home it also seemed to reduce the suspension travel in the rear. We're leaving for the San Diego area Friday morning so I'll have a much better idea about the results after the weekend.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I installed my Timbrens last week. With the 1" spacer it lifted the truck about 5/8th's of an inch. leaving no gap.
Bear in mind my unit had some weight on the rear end already, as I have a fiberglas Snugtop, my Reese WD hitch was in there along with some other items. I would suspect I had about 400 lbs in the bed. I then removed the 1" space and had a 3/8ths' clearance with the above load. This I felt was insufficient when driving around in a non tow mode as the truck will bottom out on the Timbrens going over pretty normal bumps when the suspension moves more than 3/8th of an inch. I called the mfg and they are sending me a different pair of Timbrens rated the same but 1 1/2" shorter. I am to reinstall them with the spacer this should give me 3/4" clearance when not towing with above gear. When Towing unit will probably be slightly higher than with stock bump stops but I will adjust the receiver ball height to get it back to proper hieght. Of course when I mount trailer it will then squat and take up the slack plus some. Before I believe my rig squated about 1 1/2'. This will with the stiffer timbren probably not let unit sit quite so low but it will keep the timbren in constant contact with the axle and I think the combination will work very well.
Please let me know how you feel the timbrens did for smoothing your ride.
Also will have my EGT and Boost gauges in for next weekend.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
RMccord,
We went to San Diego and back to LA last weekend. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in the ride, except the squat in the back is gone, it rides just above level. However, the ride is quite a bit stiffer when not towing. My issue was never the smoothness of the ride with the rig attached, but that the rear end was lower than the front. Did you get the 4000# set for a 3/4 ton or the 5600# set for the 1-ton? Mine were the heavier 1-ton version, but put on a 3/4 because I thought I needed more weight support, more about that on another posting.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I ordered the set for the 2500HD. After installing them as my earlier post notes I felt the vehicle was not clearing the axle enough as it was kind preloaded with the shell and all and I felt that it either needed to be in contact or more clearance for non towing travel. Timbrens sent me a new smaller but supposedly same rated timbren due in tomorrow that will allow the use of the 1" spacer and the new 1 1/2" shorter Timbren. This combo should give me a 3/4" clearance when not towing and I suspect raise the ball about 1/2" higher than previously when hitched as before the bump stops from the factory were not touching either. The Timbrens should come fully into contact with the trailer hitched and settle the rear about 1/2". Since I have Reese Heavy Duty WD hitch and dual cams I may get lucky and not require much if any adjustment to the hitch height. We will now this weekend as we are traveling back up to Bakersfield for the long weekend. About 100 miles each way. Also have the grapevine to negotiate so good time to see if new gauges tell me much.
i will let you know what my experience with the Timbrens are after the weekend. I suspect the handling issue may be a bit different since you are pulling a 5er and I a travel trailer. Since the trailer is over and in front of your rear axle the handling may be better by nature anyway. What I hope to gain is less porposing when hitting alot of the expansion gaps in concrete. Timbren folks said it should help allot in this area. Other than that the trailer tows nicely. Of course I don's suspect it will eliminate it but since the Timbren will be in constat contact it should keep long shock absorber travel minimized and help crush that faster.
Since I know nothing about shock science who knows what I will actually experience. Good news is I can always return to stock.