Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
SuperGlide pins

Okay, now that it appears that I can “easily” insert and remove the pins that secure the hitch to the rails, that leads to another question that I have for other SuperGlide owners. It is still a royal pain to remove and insert the cotter pins in the retaining pins. Do any of you have any tricks for that because I am finding the space under the hitch to be quite limiting and awkward to get to them! I have also disvovered that it is very easy to drop them where they can fall under the hitch.

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Land Bertram
Established Member

M.O.C. #2315
Wordsmith... try installing the base rail pins from the inside out. That would then allow you to attach the clevis pin clips to the rail pins. I also have one pin that just will not go in the base rail without some extra encouraging. The other three insert with no effort. I have talked to Pullrite and I think I am going to request new rails.
Land Bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do the same as Tom and Margaret, I insert the pins from the inside out and have full access to put the pin clips in place. I always have to use a little extra effort on the rear left corner pin to get it to attach through the base rails. Will be interested to see if new rails for anyone else will solve this problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
This is interesting, because I had my old rails replaced yesterday as the back (closest to the tailgate) right were not aligning well. It is still very slightly contrary, but it goes in. What I was getting to, however, is that they had the pin where I was having problems put in backwards, from the inside out, and I asked about doing all of them that way. They said that PullRite does not recommend this as the cotter pins could be knocked loose. Still, it was infinitely easier to do it the way you both suggest.

I take it you have had no problems doing it this way?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wordsmith,
So far I have not had any trouble with putting the pins in from the inside out. Actually that is the way my dealership had them when they installed the hitch and have not really though any different about it. The only inconvience from doing this is you have to slide the hitch plate out of the way as you work around all 4 corners to insert the pins. Also watch out for the grease from the rails, I found it helps to wear short sleeve shirts while doing this. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Montana Sky, I hear you clearly! Yesterday, at the dealer’s, when inspecting the pins to see how they fit, I immediately reached in while wearing my coat—it was very wet here yesterday! I quickly realized my mistake and gently pulled my arm out. Luckily, the coat was only wet. Thank goodness that the outside of the way tubes do not need grease!