Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
rfdbrown32166
Established Member

M.O.C. #17238
New Member - Old Montana

Hi. My name is Rick. I discovered this forum while searching the Internet in regards to the plumbing system on my recently inherited 2007 Montana 3500RL. My father gave me his Montana as he no longer uses it since my mother passed on a few years ago. So I am now the owner of barely used unit. Good thing too ... I just went through a divorce, and basically came out with nothing but my guitars, music equipment, woodworking tools and my SUV. So I've set my unit up in a park in BC Canada and it is my home now.

I was a little frustrated trying to set it up. I didn't find the user manual of any particular use, it was more or less a generic "care and use of your RV" manual in my opinion. So figuring out the plumbing system was no easy task. My father couldn't remember what the dealer had told him and some of the information he did remember he was told I have since learned was incorrect.

As I mentioned I am full time set up in Mountain Park Resort in BC Canada. It is as beautiful as it's name imply. But they don't have sewer connections to their sites because to dig in the system would have killed the roots of too many of the beautiful towering pine and fir trees. So they come around on a regular basis and flush your holding tanks with a device called a "Machinator" which for lack of a better description is a poop garburator.

So after a few days of being set up I noticed water pooling below my sewer drain pipe but it didn't appear to be black water. I took off the drain cap and whoosh ... I discovered you never position yourself in front of the drain when removing the cap! My dad just laughed and said "Welcome to the world of RV living Son!"

It turns out what my dad had been told by the dealer wasn't completely correct. He was told to leave an absurd valve handle (located in a nearly hidden and barely accessible location between the slide outs behind the tires) open all the time or else his sinks would back up. Of course I'm talking about the "Galley" holding tank which my dad had never heard of and I can find no mention of in the manual. So every time I used the sink it was draining directly into the sewer pipe and them slowly dripping out the cap onto the ground. Of course leaving it open IF you were connected to a full time sewer would be OK if you didn't have freezing weather part of the year. But I'm Canadian and BC is about as warm as we can be in Canada in the winter, which hovers around freezing.

So what how did I finally figure out what was going on with the plumbing system on how it works? Well it was no help searching the Keystone website, I called the dealership where dad bought the unit but was the weekend and only sales people were there and didn't have a clue. So I was very lucky that "Google" directed me to this forum when I typed in "What is a galley tank on a Keystone Montana 5th wheel" and after about 5 minutes reading comments of other frustrated new users I found out:

- there are three holding tanks NOT two
- the valves are NOT all in the same place for dumping the tanks.
- you should NOT leave your tank valves open full time
- the users manual is NOT particularly useful

So I discovered that the users of this forum could teach me some NOTty things and I joined immediately.

I am happy to say that thanks to comments I've read in this forum I now have the plumbing properly set up and working. I am so thankful this forum exists or I might still be pulling my hair out thinking I needed to replace a leaking valve!

Anyway ... that's me ... that's my story ... and I'm sticking to it.

Rick
Renaissance Man

rfdbrown32166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It sounds like you've got the holding tanks figured out. I'm about to dump and first I'll dump the black tank then the Galley tank and then the grey tank so ever cleaner water pushes the other stuff out. Some folks have fashioned a stick by bending the tongs on a sprinkler system valve turn on to reach under there and pull the Galley handle. Anyway, welcome to the forum! As you've discovered this is a great group of knowledgeable folks ready and willing to help. There is a lot to learn that's different about RV's. Just the two types of electrical systems for example (12v & 110V). If you look back at some of my early posts you'll see some pretty basic questions so don't be afraid to ask anything at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Isn't it great that you have landed here, so welcome to the MOC family. As you have already found out you will glean a wealth of information and friendship during your time here, just ask away!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Welcome aboard Rick and glad your found this website. I think you will find out it is the best place on the www to find out about your Montana period. I laughed when I read your comments about calling the dealer and asking questions of the salesmen. Normally the salemen have no idea how most of the units they sell work. It should be a requirement for all dealers to teach the salesmen and then send them out for a weekend in a unit so they know what it is really all about. Fortunately, our dealership's salesmen all own some type of RV and basically know what they are doing and selling. The RV techs in the back are the ones that give the PDI but the salesmen most of the time are right with you and the tech making sure everything is explained.
Again welcome aboard and if you have questions on something concerning the Montana either check it out here on the Forum or ask away and you will get the correct answer or how some of the members have solve a problem or two. Enjoy that Montana and hope you can someday get a tow vehicle, hook up and explore with that Monte!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
rfdbrown32166
Established Member

M.O.C. #17238
That's my next goal after getting back on my feet ... A tow vehicle. #128665; of course that will take time, research and cash. Such is life. ... sigh lol
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Welcome to the MOC. As stated you will find a lot of Great information and very friendly folks here. Now sit back, relax and join in the conversations!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Welcome to the forum!
Part of the enjoyment of owning a Montana is this forum.
This is a great place to share and find information about your Montana.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Welcome. This is a great place for info on all types of things, but mostly our Montanas.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Welcome to the MOC, Rick. Look no further for answers to your questions. Glad you got away with your guitars.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Welcome. i believe it's called a macerator but I like "Poop Garburator" better, got a nice laugh out of that
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Alot of us have put a twist on valve at the end of the sewer pipe to help with the whoosh problem.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
What a coincidence you have posted for the first time and I happen to be in Creston at the moment for about a week, the Montana is at home and I am helping my Daughter and family get settled in at their new dairy farm, 60 cows arrived on Friday from their old farm and another 40 arriving on Wed.

I am heading into Creston tomorrow and may just pop around and say hello if you are there during the day. Will check on here tomorrow and see if you have replied.

Welcome to the forum from another Canadian close by.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
rfdbrown32166
Established Member

M.O.C. #17238
Yes do pop by. I've emailed you my phone number. The coffee will be on, I'm the only Montana in the park and I'm in lot # 31 2nd or 3rd unit as you drive in.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Welcome from NC
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote