Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Landing gear switch

Trying to raise the landing gear to level my 2007 3400 blew a fuse... or so I thought.... I carry a rather large supply of 40 amp fuses for just such an occasion. I went to replace my fuse only to find out the fuse was still intact. I replaced it anyway and tried the switch again. It was very stiff and unresponsive. I remembered hearing a faint "snap" right behind the switch, which leads me to believe I burned out the switch. I pulled the switch and all wires looked good. I am going to Camping World in a couple days to replace it. I've never had this happen before - Blown fuses have been a common thing, though. Anyone else ever have this happen?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes. That switch will probably be a 20 amp switch and your are fused at 30 or 40 amps. It is a weak link. I suggest getting a switch at 30 or 40 amps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Member Crossthread had a switch fail when we were camped outside of Tucson. After cranking the RV up by hand, we removed the switch and figured out how to jumper the wires manually so we could hook it again. Montana dealer didn't have the identical switch but one from another RV (Monaco as I recall) was available and it had a higher load capacity. The bad news was the switch was slightly larger than original. The careful use of a file to trim off the excess material resulted in it fitting perfectly. I am pretty sure the technical name for the switch is Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT). You can Google DPDT to see how it works.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Yes. That switch will probably be a 20 amp switch and your are fused at 30 or 40 amps. It is a weak link. I suggest getting a switch at 30 or 40 amps.
John is right about the switch. When I replaced our landing gear with dual motors, I found the same thing with the original switch. Beats me why they installed an underrated switch along with marginal wiring for a 30+ amp circuit.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I had pretty good luck up to this point I guess since I have blown a lot of 40 amp fuses over the years. I will make sure I get a higher rated switch. BTW how do you grease those things and with what type?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote