Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It doesn't work and here's why

Attached are a couple of photos of one of the 7 Wonders of the RV world ... EZ Lube Hubs. I pumped 2 pumps of grease as shown in the photo without the bearing just for show of how little two pumps is and where it would be. Where the grease sits is actually the step on the spindle where your rear bearing seats. There are two slight lines on the land behind the grease ... that's where the wheel seal runs. If I had placed the wheel drum with seal and bearing in place before I pumped the grease, the blob would have been behind the bearing yet forward of the wheel seal ... a space of about 3/8 - 1/2". To get past rear bearing and travel several inches to get to the front bearing, the new grease has to push it's way thru the old grease already in the bearing. The wheel seal is the only thing that new grease has to push against. It takes a little bit of force to push grease thru a bearing let alone travel or push old grease several inches up to the front bearing. I hope you can visualize what a failed design this is. I also hope you can see the only 2 benefits of the "2 Pump a Season" advise from your dealer's tech.
1. It keeps Joe Average from filling his brake drum with grease.
2. It Gives Joe Average peace of mind that he has dutifully greased his wheel bearings, but in essence has really done pretty much nothing. Forget the EZ Lube ... repack or get them repacked every season or two depending on your travels.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good post dieselguy.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Never haved used the EX Lube, alway's tear down the hubs on every trailer every year needed or not to inspect all components, clean,regrease. Thanks for the pics I was going to look at mine next time to see how the EZ Lube actually works but you showed how it failed...........Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
That was a great post dieselguy. I can clearly see the potential for failure here. Your right, repacking them is the only way to be sure. Thanks
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I never put much faith in most things labeled "EZ blah blah blah" and the old manual method is a good opportunity to visually inspect the bearings for scoring. It looks like I will continue to tear-down, clean, and lube mine the old fashioned way.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Excellent post!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I guess I'm odd man out. I used the EZ lube system. I didn't read the "give two shots" until a few years later, but the first time I used it, common sense told me I had to fill the void between the rear and front bearings with grease before it would work. This I did, though it took many pumps of the grease gun to do so. Thereafter, a few pumps was all it took to force the grease out the front bearings. Even though I inspected the brakes annually by pulling the hub off just far enough to see the linings, I never had any problems with rear seals, and the system worked fine for me.

Having said this, it would be nice if they went to sealed non-greasable bearings like the auto companies have. Given the length of time it took them to go to self adjustment brakes or making disc brakes standard though, I'm guessing I won't see them in my lifetime.

One other note: I wouldn't put jack stands in the location you have them. IMHO, they would be better placed between the U-bolts where the weight of the trailer is concentrated. Moving them out increases the possibility of tweaking/bending the axle and causing other issues.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Great post, removed the smoke and mirrors from of the E-Z method.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Interestingly enough the Dexter folks, when pressed at the Rally, fully agree with Diesel Guy.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Tom S:
Good point, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I always jack directly under the spring holders, but the photos were during the time I had all 4 tires off getting the Marabombs replaced. If you only have 2 jacks, you can't put a jack stand directly under the other two spring perchs unless you jack the frame up which I don't care to do. As far as why not just take the whole fiver to the tire store ... parking lot was too small, "rattle gun jocks" marr up a good aluminum wheel and seldom approach torquing up lugs to my liking.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like Tom S, I am a contrarian on this. While I agree that 2 pumps is useless, greasing according to the Dexter instructions does exactly what it says it will do.
If you look at a cross section of the EZ Lube System, you can see the path of the grease.
I jacked one wheel at a time, slowly pumped grease in the zerk, while constantly turning the wheel so the grease can easily flow thru the bearings and not over pressure the seal. It took quite a bit of grease, but the new grease pushed the old grease out the front just as the instructions indicated. Repeated for all wheels. I always check the brakes before each trip using the manual brake control, and before each new season by jacking each wheel and checking each wheel individually. All brakes work fine. And I first used the EZ Lube system 3 years ago.
However the system can easily be abused by anyone not patient enough to do it very slowly. I am sure the is why Dexter, "when pressed", agreed with Diesel Guy.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Tom S:
Good point, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I always jack directly under the spring holders, but the photos were during the time I had all 4 tires off getting the Marabombs replaced. If you only have 2 jacks, you can't put a jack stand directly under the other two spring perchs unless you jack the frame up which I don't care to do. As far as why not just take the whole fiver to the tire store ... parking lot was too small, "rattle gun jocks" marr up a good aluminum wheel and seldom approach torquing up lugs to my liking.
Yeah, I can't take ours to the tire store either, so I did two tires (one side) at a time. I have four 12 ton jacks that will lift the unit by the frame.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Tom and Bill ... hats off to you for unlocking the "secret" of the Not So EZ Lube. I have no straight forward rebuttal other than even with your jack it up .... spin and slow pump method, you'll never be totally sure that a similar amount that came out the front didn't slip by the rear seal ... until it's too late of course. If Dexter doesn't 100% fill the hub at the factory to insure this design to work ... few will take the time out in the field either. To top it off, the next time you clean / repack ... the meticulous process has to be completed all over again. Keep your experiences coming.