Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Pre Departure checks and maintanance

We are taking the Monty to Orange Springs, FL. (about 1800 miles) next week. We're going to be dropping it off in my mothers yard until we get back down there in mid February. Better than pulling it through salt covered icy roads in Feb.

So, We have had it for about 6 weeks now (2011 new off the lot) and have put about 1200 miles on it. Spent close to 20 days in it so far. Still has Marathons on it, and we're hoping to keep the cash on hand until after we make it to our destination before buying new tires.

I have to do some things to it before we head out. I have a few questions on what I need to check and how to check things so here we go.

I want to check the axle alignment for any serious problem. I have noticed that when I instal the roto chocks, one side is wider between the tires than the other. I am assuming this is due to one side of the trailer being heavier than the other. The drivers side wheels are closer together (more weight) than the curb side. If this is normal, how do I check the alignment without blocking up the trailer high enough to get the tires off the ground? I haven't measured the tread depth accros the tires yet but I'm planning to. So what's an easy method of checking for good/fair alignment?

When checking/torquing the suspention, are the wet bolts and axle bolts the same torque? What else should I look at while I have my head in that area?

Do I need to check anything with the (Mor/ryde) pinbox?

I also plan on checking the hitch bolts for tightness. Anything else I should be checking that anyone can think of?
thanks
John

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have an IS suspension and never had wet bolts so I'll let someone else answer that one. While you're there make sure the U bolts are torqued to 75#, they seldom have been in the past. Your pin box should be fine, but make sure your lug nuts are torqued to 120#. If you still have Marathons on check both sides for bulges or other signs of trouble. Others will be along soon with more ideas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Thanks for the tips I can use all the help I can get. I'm a little nervous getting ready for my first long trip away from home with the new camper. Made the same trip 2 winters ago with my HR Alumalite (33' 4800# dry and 18 years old) and only had 1 problem (trailer brakes) during the trip. I did have fresh (1 year old) tires and new springs and shackles (one broke the year before and I replaced them all). The brake issue was an intermitant ground. I'm guessing it was inside the axle where the wires run. Not a good feeling coming down the mountain pass into Ashville, NC area when the brake controler starts beeping. May take a differant route this time but I sure loved the Smokey Mountains.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Sounds like you are certainly on the right track. I do the same as you. Take the camper down to Silver Springs before it gets icy in the north to avoid all the bad roads. One thing I would watch out for are those tires. Sometimes with those Marathons, it's what's on the "inside" that you can't see that's the problem. If you start to see any unusual wear, the treds may have separated on the inside. The last thing you want is tire trouble on a long trip.
Be safe, and have a good trip.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Distance mismatch (you did not indicate how bad) between tires would concern me, and certainly an indicator of a possible misalignment issue; axle alignment includes the positioning on the frame, and the bent of the axle itself. You can compare the positioning of the axles on the frame through careful measuring and bolt inspection, axle bend needs to addressed by a competent technican. Bad axle bend is usually indicated by uneven tire wear. I have had several fifthwheels with different slideout configurations, but the tires have always been equal distance on both sides of the trailer, except when I have made a tight turn and not yet moved the unit back and forth a few feet to take that strain off the tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
1-2 inches differance between the left and right side tires from what I recall. I'll have to go out and measure it in a while. Also the RV service guys that installed my second A/C unit pointed out some tire wear on the inside edge of 2 tires (front left and rear right). To me it looked like it "might" have been caused by the tires sliding (scrubbing) accross asphalt during sharp turns. They felt that it was an alignment issue, but did not have a way to check or correct. I'm keeping a close eye on the situation. Right now I am going to wait until the weather changes some before I crawl under the trailer. Supposed to be highs in the mid 40,s and lows tonight in the mid 20,s. I can't wait to sell my house and move out of this state.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I measured it a hour ago. Right at 1 inch differance of tire spacing from left to right. I also noticed again that there was tire (rubber) dust on the rear part of the fender skirt on the port (left) side. Now I'm worried that this may cause my Florida trip to be cancelled due to not being able to get it aligned in time. Since it's still under the 1 year warrenty, maybe I'll have a bit of luck getting fresh rubber put on for free, or G614,s at a highly reduced rate.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I'll bet when you change your tires, you will find what I pointed out earlier. The tred on the inside of the tire has separated. Marathons are notorious for this. I also think that's what's causing the uneven wear on the outside tred. Those tires have no business being on vehicles so heavy. The fact that they have to meet DOT standards even though they're made in China is bologna. You should get them off your Monty and then get on with your trip.
Just MHO
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When you get under there take a torque wrench and 3/4 inch socket and torque the U-bolts to 75 ft/lbs. If they are loose then the tire scrubbing is from the axles shifting on the springs and you need to get that straight right away. When Richfaa's slipped he stripped the tread off 4 brand new tires in a few miles. About half the u-bolts on my Big Sky were finger tight..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I'll be checking them today. What I really want is for there to be enough tire wear that they have no choice but to replace all the tires under warranty. Could save me hundreds on a full set of G614's.

When I measured the distance between the tires I went from hub center to hub center to eleminate any chance that the that the tires would affect the measurement. Only 39 degreess outside right now. I'll wait til it gets closer to 50 before I get started.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Be sure that you have pulled straight before you measure, you need a good number of feet of STRAIGHT backing or pulling in to be sure you do not have those tires in a turn. Just something else to keep in mind when you are measuring. I am not talking 6 feet of straight driving, I am talking like 25 feet of straight driving. That might be an exaggeration, but, you get the idea. If you don't believe the Mrs. on this ask the dudes.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
That's a good point but I think I have that covered. I have noticed the distance differance every time I park the trailer. Sometimes I'm shifting back and forth to get lined up properly in a spot. Even pulling into spaces or the driveway from differant sides the spacing is always narrower on the drivers side. I have seen the rear axle shift to the side quite a bit while making sharp turns. I don't remember if it does it equally on each side when turning opposite directions. It was also an issue that I was going to look into. I figured some shifting to the side is normal during turns (maybe even more so with the MorRyde suspention), but it looks like 3-4 inches to the side. Due to the side shifting on the Axles I have been keeping a close eye on the spring hagers as well. Haven't noticed anything yet.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
UPDATE:

Just got done checking the suspention and tires. All but one U-bolt needed to be tightened. The ones on the port side were the loosest. No sign of axles sliding on the springs. End hangers for the springs looked fine. The rubber center of the MorRyde suspention on the port side looks very bad. It's all torn up. The starboard side has just a couple splits in the rubber.

Tires are showing some wear. The worst is the port side forward. The inside edge has very uneven wear like a saw blade. Outside is also wearing the same way but much less. Infact 3 of the 4 tires show the same wear pattern to some degree. All the tires show wear typical of under inflated or overloaded (more wear on outsides than center) condition. Tire sidewalls and carcass all looked good.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If you can get a camera under there shoot some pics of the Moryde unit and shoot them off to Keystone and Moryde. Along with an email with vin# and purchase date.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Took pics with my iPhone while I was under there. They turned out pretty good. Would you have contact info?

My DW came up with a really good question. She asked "why can't we stop at the manufacturer and get the suspention fixed on our way to Florida". Does anyone think this would be workable without a long delay in Indiana? Who would I need to talk to to get that set up? I would be able to get there by Thursday or Friday. Funny how I'd be just a little late for the rally. I would have liked to have gone but it just didn't work into our schedule.

Any contact info would be great.
Thanks