Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
aquilinas

M.O.C. #11203
St.Lawrence Seaway

Looking for advice on where to stay (campground) near Alexandria bay. Also, advice on fun things to do and best seafood restaurant.

aquilinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
We checked some CG out on the US side and we didn't find much. We did see some nice places on the Canadian side. We never camped with our rv in this area. We go to Black Lake (11years) and Chippewa Bay and we stay in a cabin.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I grew up in Massena, NY. My dad was the chief electrician at the Eisenhower and Snell locks. Alexandria Bay is a nice area but about 35 miles away from the locks and the power dam which are a major attractions for the Seaway. I believe Robert Moses state park( http://www.reserveamerica.com/r/camp...&parkCode=robe )may have campsites that are a lot closer.
Sorry, I can't recommend any seafood places there. It's all fresh water.
If you have a passport, Montreal Canada isn't all that far away. It's a beautiful city. If you're into fresh water fishing, look at fishing for Muskies (muskellunge)http://www.sportsmansresource.com/ph...y_photo_51.htm . Use a guide service for this. They know where they are and have the rigs to handle the size of the fish.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
The NYS Park at Wellesley Island Has 50+ Full Hook Up Sites With most of them able to accomodate a large 5er.

Be sure to take a Boat Tour of the Islands: Uncle Sam Boat Tours (Make sure you stop at Boldt Castle)

PS: If you do decide to stay on Wellesley Island, and you're going to be in the area for a week or so, and plan to make Day Trips, you'll want to Purchase a Discounted "Commuter Pass" for the Thousand Islands Bridge. The Normal Vehicle Fee is $2.50 per crossing (it's only charged one-way), you can get a 16 Trip Pass for $15.00, it's good for 2 years from the issue date. If you have trips left and don't plan to return in that time frame, you can always give it to one of your Campground Neighbors, I have always done that when mine is about to expire, and it's greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to the Bridge Rates

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Here's a link to the campground that we stayed at when we did that trip back in 2008. There were quite a bit of seasonals here, but the sites were large, the owners were fantastic, and very convenient to what the area has to offer. If back in the area, we would stay there again.

We too enjoyed Uncle Sam Boat Tours and the Boldt Castle was unbelievable and the story that goes along with it.

I did see the NYS Park at Wellesley Island and that too looked great. Enjoy...

Marge

http://www.merryknollcampground.com/index.htm
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
We were there the end of May of last year and we stayed at the 1000 island campground, was very nice and we would definitely go back again. This campground is on the american side.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

I grew up in Massena, NY. My dad was the chief electrician at the Eisenhower and Snell locks. Alexandria Bay is a nice area but about 35 miles away from the locks and the power dam which are a major attractions for the Seaway. I believe Robert Moses state park( http://www.reserveamerica.com/r/camp...&parkCode=robe )may have campsites that are a lot closer.
Sorry, I can't recommend any seafood places there. It's all fresh water.
If you have a passport, Montreal Canada isn't all that far away. It's a beautiful city. If you're into fresh water fishing, look at fishing for Muskies (muskellunge)http://www.sportsmansresource.com/ph...y_photo_51.htm . Use a guide service for this. They know where they are and have the rigs to handle the size of the fish.
CORattler,
Small world. I'm retired Alcoa and spent ten years (69-79)in Massena. We go back in the summer ( which is the third week in July when the hockey ice gets bad!)We stay at Coles Creek campground in Waddington on the river. Nice but electric only.I used to boat up river to Alex Bay and back. Recommend you take a boat cruise of the islands. Also recommend if your staying in Alex Bay that you at least take a short days drive to Massena and visit the Eisenhower Locks and Seaway Authority Power Dam. But, but, watch the WEATHER!
Chuck
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It IS a small world ... we used to go up to Coles creek to night fish for bullhead. We'd built a fire near the water, drink RC Cola and eat Armour Vienna Sausages from the tins. I graduated from Massena High School in 1970. The girl that I took to the prom is Betty, my bride of 40 years.
Apologies to the OP for my trip down memory lane.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog
CORattler,
Small world. I'm retired Alcoa and spent ten years (69-79)in Massena. We go back in the summer ( which is the third week in July when the hockey ice gets bad!)We stay at Coles Creek campground in Waddington on the river. Nice but electric only.I used to boat up river to Alex Bay and back. Recommend you take a boat cruise of the islands. Also recommend if your staying in Alex Bay that you at least take a short days drive to Massena and visit the Eisenhower Locks and Seaway Authority Power Dam. But, but, watch the WEATHER!
Chuck
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote