Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Sam Rayburn Reservoir

We are planning on a trip to TX. for the winter. Our destination that we have picked for now is Sam Rayburn Resevoir in the eastern part of TX. Anyone been there and stayed there with a big rig? I'm talking a 39ft fiver.Have looked into the COE parks, but not sure they can accomodate our unit. What is the area like, and does it stay very warm in the winter? All info on that area and TX in general would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave & Linda

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Dave and Linda, I went to high school in Crockett, Texas and lived in the area for about 10 years. That was 1965-1980. Crockett is 45 miles away. You will get a couple of freezes in the winter. You will have a lot of days of cloud cover and some rain. As I recall one winter we had some kind of moisture everyday for 7 weeks! The area is forested with some small hills. The last time I was at Sam Rayburn and Lufkin was 1985. I would think it would be a little cool to winter at. We have small family farm I could winter at for free. I never considered it because of cold,cloud overcast and precipition.
Jay D.
Centennial, Co
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Jay D, I'm sorry I didnt explain that this was our first stop in TX, and in fact the first time we ever been to TX. Actually thinking of sometime in Nov. arriving there, then moving south as the winter gets colder. Leaving there and going to the Hill country, then on down possibly to RGV. This is just a guess for now, but got to start somewhere.
Maybe some of the MOC members can give some tips. Just to explain things a little, we don't require high end campgrounds with a bunch of activities. We like nature, small friendly campgrounds, and friendly people. Just like to take it easy and explore.

Thanks
Dave & Linda
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
There are a couple of really fine COE campgrounds on Lake 'o The Pines further up here in East Texas. Also some great State Parks; for example Tyler State Park near the city by that name. Any of these parks would have spaces for your rig.

I'm not comparing these to Sam Rayburn, just giving some additional possibilities. In addition Tyler State Park has full hook-ups and at least marginal WIFI (no added charge).
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Dave and Linda, We spent last winter in TX. I have to say, the people there are the friendliest you will meet anywhere. They really appreciate the Winter Texans (That's what they call Snowbirds). Most of the COE parks will accomodate your size rig. Most even have concrete pads. If you like natural surroundings, you can't beat them.

Also, many of the state parks in TX are nice as well. Make sure if you are planning on staying in TX State Parks, that you purchase the yearly pass or you will pay an additional fee for both you and the wife every day on top of your camping fee. It might be about $60 but well worth it. We stayed on Goose Island State Park near Rockport and also close to Corpus Christi. We had a site right on the water and loved it there!

To find out about the COE Parks check out www.recreation.gov. You will be able to find out if they have sites that will accomodate your size rig.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote