Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Biting plant

In the last two years there have been 2 people from our little town who have been in Arizona that have been bitten by a plant! No kidding! The first gal was on a walking tour, I believe, when this plant bit her on the thigh. This plant had barbs on it and it was not easy to get out. She ended up in the emergency room overnight. As I understand the plant is triggered by movement and it actually can "jump" out quite a ways. The second person was a guy and he was bitten in the crotch. His wife was able to remove it with a pliers. I know this sounds like a joke but it's for real, promise!! Does anyone know the name of this plant? I'd like to look it up to see what it looks like so I can avoid it!! Marilyn

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Marilyn, I'm sorry, but I had to laugh. I have been searching through everything I can find on the inet about carnivorous plants of the Sonoran desert and haven't found anything close to the plant you describe. Maybe someone will be along that knows the answer, in the meantime I'll keep searching.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Lonnie, I know what you mean! I had to laugh after I read what I wrote. The gal who ended up in emergency has no idea of the plant's name and the guy (who just happens to be her brother-in-law is not talking! They were not there at the same time or even in the same area. The gal's sister was the one that "told" on her husband and like I said he has nothing to say.........ha ha!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Don't know the formal name, but it is called the "jumping cactus". Movement causes it to release "quills" Solution...stay away from tall cacti
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
It is a cactus that is called a "Jumping Cholla". It is best not to get too close to them and the best weopen to carry is a comb. By running the comb between your clothes and the clump of spines you can usually get most of the spines out. However, if you get it directly onto your skin the comb still works, but not as well and you will probably pull some of the barbs with pliers. In the desert most cactus have barbs (that's is how they keep from being eaten) but the Jumping Cholla is one of the most common and annoying.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Thank you Syplace and Idunning!! I've looked it up and now know what to look for. I was especially concerned for my dog. The lady this happened to spent most of the summer recovering from her "bites". Thanks again! Marilyn
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I hope that plant isn't on some protected species list, 'cause anything that fills my crotch full of barbs is gonna accompany me to the emergency room...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
Marilyn, I was wondering what the guy was doing that got the barbs in the crotch. I've never heard of that before. Lee
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
My wife is NOT getting anywhere NEAR my crotch with a pair of pliers!
(Nor is anyone else, for that matter.)
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Cylindropuntia fulgida F.M. Knuth 1935

Opuntia fulgida Engelmann 1856

also: hanging chain cholla, chain fruit cholla, cholla brincadora, velas de coyote
This distinctive plant is extremely common in the Tucson area as well as most of Pima and Pinal Co., Arizona. Here it forms great forests of tree like cacti that really look like something out of a Marvin the Martian cartoon. The hanging chains of fruit give it the name 'Hanging Chain Cholla' whereas the 'Jumping Cholla' name comes from the ease with which the stems detach when brushed, giving the impression that the stem jumped onto you. Often the ground around a mature plant will be covered with young plants started from stems that have fallen from the adult.

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote