Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dimmers Just for Fun

Being in a romantic mood for the moment - I replaced the overhead light switch and dining room switch with dimmers (Lutron Maestro). The overhead light dimmer is also on a remote control.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../194470005.jpg
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../194470032.jpg

I've used these dimmers throughout the stick house, and they are kind of fun. Tap on and off - with dimmer buttons at the right. Dimmer setting is in memory from the last dimmed position. They fade on and off when you tap the switch (kind of hi-tec).

To install - you need to add a shallow electrical box and cut the hole to size. The original wiring uses a non-standard type switch specifically for RV installations. Once you have the electrical box installed, you can install the dimmers using standard techniques. It is a tight fit in the shallow box, so expect a little wrestling with the wires.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Cool dimmers Brad, but it makes me wonder about you just a little. When I get in a romantic mood, dimmer switches are probably the last thing on my mind, maybe I've been thinking wrong all these years.

Edit- Nice installation BTW.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Lonnie, I think the key is in his post. Notice he said for the moment! LOL
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha - Lonnie, it's all part of building the scene!

I am imagining a trip with the DW without the kids. I pick a spot with a beautiful sunset out the back window - a bottle of wine, and behind my back I remote the lights to dim, remote on the fireplace (not yet installed), and remote start some soft music on the CD player...........
Old 10-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I get it now, Brad, you really are a romantic. Forethought, what a novel idea. I hope you don't get confused with all those remotes though, and push the one that opens the day/night shade. Someone with a quick camera finger might post your romantic moment on the www.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That one got a LOL from Dory - she said she'll run the remotes and I can make dinner.