Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just a story....

Every time I pulled into the driveway, my left front tire would drop in a small groove outside the concrete, just a little depression, but annoying. So, after obsessing about it for weeks, I decided to tackle the project.
Now most normal people would either ignore the little bump, or, take three hand fulls of clay, or a small flat rock and fill in the depression my tire made. Not me.
I drug a few shovels, my old pick Axe, some wooden stakes and boards and began the project. When I got all the dirt dug out and the concrete forms in, I had a shape like the state of Nevada, with the Grand Canyon running along the left side. Now comes the math part of my project. I Google everything, so I found the formula for concrete work. It is a little like me listening to directions to get somewhere, I was pretty much lost after the first set of calculations. All the directions were in Square feet, I had square inches.
I called the smartest friend I could think of, my buddy Bob Manske. Being a smart and successful guy, Bob was drinking cocktails on his brand new 42' Mainiship Trawler in the Gulf of Mexico. He says, just take 12x12x12 and do something else....I was still concentrating on the fact that he had a Captain piloting his yacht in the Gulf of Mexico, I said oh yea, thanks. Tell me about your new Yacht.
At that point, I figured the safest way for me to go, was just to change the dimensions to the ones in feet, that I found when I Googled, after all, some concrete guy has already done the math for the example. Off to the driveway I went with more wooden steaks and boards, pick Axe and shovels. Now my concrete forms looked more like the state of Tennessee, and, 3/4 of a yard of concrete, just like the guy's example.
I was feeling pretty confident when I called the U-Cart concrete people, I drove over there, they had this big machine that mixed the rock, sand, water, and powdered cement, the yard guy was turning knobs, flipping switches, and out came the concrete in the bucket trailer. I figured they couldn't do the math either, and bought the machine to do the mixing.
I drove into the driveway, sweet Sue was there with a cup of coffee ready, and was willing to help me with the job, it all went pretty good, we had a little left over that we put in the ditch to smother some weeds.
My state of Tennessee doesn't look too bad, and my tire doesn't bump coming into the driveway.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ozz,

You are too much, wanna bring some of that energy to the Stevens' spread and attack our thistles. Bet they would lay down, die and NEVER come back, all it would take is the announcement, "Ozz is here!" Bingo, thistles gone!

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wellll, the way I overdo most things, I would use the big Propane burner I have, and wipe out most of the area..

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ozz

If I thought propane would burn them monsters out, I would try it! HA HA

Even brush killer only stunts them, they send out runners, which then produce NEW plants! GRRRRRRRRRR

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ozz, have you ever heard of RediMix Concrete? Comes in a bag and you had water - instant cement and just enough for small jobs.
Carol, if you value your home and the Monty I don't think I'd let Ozz near it with his propane burner! LOL
Happy trails...............

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue,

Think we are safe for this year, he is heading to Colorado, WRONG WAY! HA HA HA