Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dimplex Fireplace

I saw in another thread that the Montanas have the Dimplex Electric Fireplace as an option. How does this brand compare to others for a realistic looking fire? I want to put a fireplace in my 06 2955RL and I am trying to decide which brand looks the best. Thanks.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have the fireplace and will try to describe it to you. It has two controls on it that allow you to control the speed of your flame and then the other one controls the brightness of your fire. We have turned it on and it has heated up very quickly. Don't know if it will heat the entire Monty yet as it is hot here in Texas.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We love it!!!! 95% of the time it provides enough heat to hold a comfortable temperature inside the Monty, even leave it running at night. We pull the door partially to keep the light down in the bedroom. The furnace running at night makes enough noise that I wake up when it comes on.

There are four bulbs that provide the light and the impression of the flames. I do not know what it does to make it look like a fire burning, but is very realistic. It also has a very quiet fan that forces the heat from the unit. I thought it to be an expensive add-on as the wife wanted it and I was trying to save a few dollars. I am glad that she won the debate and we opted for it.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have it and we love it. We turned it on in early mornings to take the chill off. It works great. Wouldn't be without it. Between that and the space heater that we have we don't need to use the furnace. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
It actually has 3 knobs. The one on the left is a thermostat to control the temp. We love ours and use it a lot.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Don & Donna, I have compared several manufacturers units and IMHO the Dimplex has the most realistic looking flame. I believe also there have been several lawsuits by Dimplex, where several companies have infringed on their design.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We love ours.... and we don't even have it yet.

Don, not sure what kind of problems you might have matching the dimensions. I have had electric fireplaces in some of my homes. No two with the same H"/L"/W"... Almost had to build the wall around the specific fireplace dimensions - not the other way around.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 AM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We put one in ours and love it. We run it all the time in cold weather and it heats nicely. It is great to turn on to get the morning chill out of the air too! Sometimes we just have the heat off and flame on too! It is also very quite. We purchased ours at Menards, I will have to ask my husband the brand name. I know he said it was quick to install. Much cheaper than what Keystone wanted also.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've had people walk into ours and think it is real! We love it and use it a lot to take the chill out. Don't need it right now but in the winter we do.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Campbud, where do you put it in your 2955? What shape is it? There is not much unused wall space in my 2955.

Never mind. I found your earlier thread.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Us too> Thought it would was a "cute" option when we first started seeing them. We did, however, have one put into our Monty and have used it most mornings to take the chill off of the trailer. We love it and are very greatful we ordered it. It has a really realistic look. A couple of trips ago we were talking with a couple of Monty owners and we all decided we didn't want to know how it works - it might ruin the ambiance.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also love our Dimplex too. Looks so real. Saves on propane. We have used it for a night light too without the heat.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I guess I will go with the Dimplex. I have a plan and I will be putting a little mantel and frame around the Dimplex fireplace insert that Home Depot sells. I am still undecided to go with oak or ceramic tile. I can make it fit by coming out of the shallow cupboard by 3 inches and this will not interfere with the slide. It will be awhile before I get around to this but I will post pics of the project when I complete it. Oak is quite a bit more expensive than tile and the tile on such a small project will not add more than 20 pounds so I am leaning towards tile.
I have done quite a few tile mantels on gas fireplaces and when you use the brass trim to finish the edge of the tile, it is a nice effect. Fire and brass go well.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We are also looking to install a fireplace in our 2955RL under the Desk/TV area. It is only 8" deep. I wonder what is behind that cabinet and if I could use 1" of space from the back. I've noticed the dimplex inserts have mesh fronts (as does the chimney free). I'm leaning toward the classic flame 23E05 as it has glass front.

What are the benefits and shortcomings between the glass front and mesh front designs?
Mariana
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have just ordered the Dimplex fireplace insert from Home Depot's Canada site. It looks like it has a glass front. The Home Depot USA site has different fireplaces and does not have the Dimplex model that I ordered.
On my 06 2955RL that shallow cabinet has the hotwater tank behind it and that is why I have to frame out a couple of inches as well as widen the opening. It is going to take 10 days before I get my fireplace and I can't start the job until I get it to make sure I am happy with it.
I am not sure which covering, glass or mesh is more realistic.
I now am planning on using a combination of oak and black ceramic tile as this will match most of the kitchen trim which is black. If I am not happy with the model I ordered I will send it back and keep looking. Both of the Home Depots near where I live don't have fireplaces in stock at this time and the specialty fireplace stores are quite a bit more expensive than the Home Depot website, that is why I am ordering.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
thanks, Don. I also figured that there are many different models, not all available on line...

Mariana
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Our 05 monty 3295RK came with a fireplace. We loved it so much when camping in early spring and in late Sept & Oct, that we bought one from Lowes to put in our regular house. It looks identical to the one in the Monty, although we did opt to buy the corner fireplace. Our two neighbors liked ours so much that they purchased ones for their houses. One neighbor even put his betweem a large intertainment center and put her new 42" flat screen tv on top of it. Oh we also built a sunroom for our regular house and bought a small electric one that looks like an old time wood stove from Lowes. Both put out enough heat to keep the living areas warm to take away the chill so that we don't need to kick on the furnace to heat the whole house. Its great when watching TV. The one in the Monty keeps the RV quite warm so that we can use the campground electricity instead of burning propane for the furnace.
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
You sure hear how people like the ambiance of a fireplace, gas, wood and even electric.
I have two woodburning fireplaces in my stick house and I have known for years, if you want your company to go home early, don't put a fire on.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's funny, Don! I like that.

*On Edit~ Also, you gave me that tip about ten years too late...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 AM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dave , I am looking at the calender and you guys must be getting excited. In a week your new Montana will be built and soon after that you begin your great new lifestyle. I never seriously considered full timing until our recent 6 week trip and now Donna and I keep saying how much fun it was and how when we got tired of a campground, we just hitched up and moved on down the road.
If one could hold the magic to be able to move the stick house like that..................

Anyway, when I retire in 5 years, the good Lord willing , I think we are going to try this fulltiming for a little while.

Time for me to head on out to the salt mines, Take care and I am looking forward to the arrival of your new Montana. Don.