Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Autoformer went South

Hi All,

Just got back from UPS. Had to ship my AF back to the factory.

While getting ready for our summer trip, we suddenly lost the 110V.

A quick check determined, that the SurgeGuard I have installed had shut the 110 down. It was seeing a super high Voltage.

I then checked the AF and could smell it cooking and could see a trail of smoke coming up from it.

Called Hughes and they said send it in. They said some of the internals have failed and it needs repair. $15 to ship and a $25 check to them to return ship.

It's only a year old and has only been used about 4 mos.

I'm thankful (a) That the SurgeGuard did its job of shutting down before the high voltage could damage a lot of stuff and (b) When I installed the AF, I installed an Electrical box with the pig tail set-up to make for easy removal and by-pass of the AF.

Concerns here are, will I be able to rest easy again thinking that this could happen again and possibly cause a fire? Maybe it's best to have the AF outside the Rig. I sure had a sweet install. It was in the rear lounge cabinet/table between the chairs. I even installed some very nice vents to the outside.

Thought everyone should hear this news, just in case you may want to re-think the place you select to use yours.

I'm still a fan of the AF but even a bigger fan of the TRCI SurgeGuard.

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Was your surge guard between you Campsite power and AF or between your AF and Monty power panel?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
S/G after AF. It has to be done that way although it leaves the AF on its own, but the AF does have a minimal surge protection. This is probably what happened. A spike took out the AF surge protection and then it took off at max boost thats when my S/G saw it and shut the power down. I don't know if I'll get any info from the factory. If I do I'll post what they find.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al has a whole house surge protector (not just a guard) on ours, it is before the A/F. He has a web page describing installation, find it via our home page noted below. I believe he has said to me (remember he is the electrican, and I am the one with the glazed eyes when he goes into the tech details on this ) that there is an argument for wiring the auto former in different ways. He is not here, or I would ask him again, and my eyes would glaze over again!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote