Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the pyro installed and the truck is 100% stock, no modifications or upgrades. The main thing I use the pyro for is knowing when to take my foot off the throttle going up long grades, and of course the on-ramps. IN MY OPINION, I would have the pyro installed on any diesel truck.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #22
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I chose to install mine pre-turbo. After many weeks of research on the net I could not find a single instance where one had broken off and eaten a turbo. They're made for aircraft service and don't break. It's recommended that you replace them after 4-5 years though.

I think it's probably more likely that the intake heater element would fall apart and be ingested. I removed it.

As for the shavings from drilling. Use a small drill coated with grease, then a slightly larger one until you get up to the size needed for the probe. The grease captures most of it and what's left is so small it blows through with no damage.

Why a pyro? The pyro controls the turbo temp monitor. The TTM keeps the turbo from 'coking' the oil from shutting down hot.

Ford gave be crap for modding 'their' truck. I responded by taking it to a different shop. The mechanic at the new shop said 'nice work'.

I figure I added the stuff that Ford should have put on there in the first place. Guages. An exhaust system that doesn't choke it to death, an air filter that doesn't deform & suck dust, and a gadget that extends the life of the the turbo bearings.

All in all I'm happy with the choices I made.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine is in the exhaust manifold. The installer originally put it post-turbo. I immediately noticed it was not nearly as quick to respond as on my prior truck I returned and asked about it and was told they put it post-turbo. I reminded them I ordered it pre-turbo so they made the change. The installer removed the manifold, drilled and tapped, then thoroughly cleaned the manifold, removing all shavings. He gave me a written statement to that effect, on the invoice, in case of any warranty question.

I personally prefer pre-turbo rather than post-turbo. The change in temperature reading is much faster. However, so long as you know what the limits are, either way should clue you to a potential problem in time to back it off and avoid damage.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My Ford F350 7.3 PSD no towing is around 600 deg. and about 2 lbs boost.
Towing on a flat 800 to 850, boost I cant remember.
Pushing it hard up a hill Sherman Grade Calif, second gear @ 41 - 45 mph. running at 1050 bumping 1100 and back down again to 1050 and a boost of 20 to 24 lbs.
Banks told me never to go over 1100 for to long a period of time unless I was just cresting a hill, a quickey. but I dont generally go over 1050 ever. the real killer of heat will be my Transmission I did put on a big Hayden it did help. If I had an intercooler I would be running a lot cooler and have more power. but power cost money and I look at how many times I have needed that power and the cost, I'll just go up the hill a little slower. like the tortus and the hare.

TT2
Old 12-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #25
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
On my '01 Cummins, the truck shop put the probe post turbo. In 40 years of driving the big trucks, (Cummins JTs to 600 HP Cats) I've never seen a probe ahead of the turbo. On the '01 Dodge it was green to 950 degs., yellow to 1150, and red on up.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #26
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak
I've never seen a probe ahead of the turbo. On the '01 Dodge it was green to 950 degs., yellow to 1150, and red on up.
Bob thats something that I need to talk about is the location of the probe, I'm glad you brought it up. A good friend told me that the probe should always be in front of the turbo to realy show the true exost tempurature exiting the cylinder, if installed after the turbo it would be incorect due to the compression of the air going through the fan, I have always thought this to be right, can you convience me otherwise.

TT2

Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #27
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
TT2: I'll not try to convince anybody that their installation is wrong. That is like 'most everything else on here; you do what YOU feel is best. When I had the guages put on my '01 Cummins I took it to a shop that primarily works on Cummins and about 2" behind the turbo outlet is where he put it. I also mentioned that I'd heard of some people putting it ahead of the turbo. He looked at me kinda dumbfounded. He put the tranny temp probe in the right rear corner of the tranny. Said he'd called Chrysler and that's where they told him to put it on the autommatic. As I said in the first post; in 40+ years of driving the big ones, I've never seen the probe ahead of the turbo.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had mine installed post turbo, the shop that installed it would only put it there. They would not go pre-turbo nor did they recommend it, I have talked with guys that have them both pre and post. I do not think there is a right or wrong, just whatever is comfortable to you.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #29
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
So what do people think is the max temp for a post turbo pyrometer? Do you think make and model make a difference? The people that installed mine recommended 900 deg. that sounds low compared to what others are saying.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #30
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

So what do people think is the max temp for a post turbo pyrometer? Do you think make and model make a difference? The people that installed mine recommended 900 deg. that sounds low compared to what others are saying.
900 sounds like if I was pulling a gradual incline with about 4 to 5 lbs. of boost, I dont think the make or model has anything to do with it being that, a pyrometer is a pyrometer, you just want to keek it below 1050 for long periods of time, if it goes up let off the pedel or drop it a gear and it will drop 2 to 400 deg's.
I was just at this web site and found that they answer questions put to them see below.

The most accurate position is in the exhaust manifold, or just after the manifold. The pyrometer is measuring exhaust gas in order to determine combustion temperature. The gauge will be more responsive to temperture changes if the thermocouple is at the manifold--it will typically peak ten seconds faster than after the turbo.

Many people install the thermocouple after the turbo as insurance against the probe breaking, going into the turbo and damaging it. Some people also believe that monitoring turbo temperature is the function of the pyrometer, but really this is secondary. The peak temperatures after the turbo are typically 200 degrees lower than the peak at the manifold, due to the turbo absorbing the heat.

You have to weight the pros and cons of each installation.

Charles Ledger
ASE Master--Auto; Advanced Engine Performance;
Diesel Engines; Medium/Heavy Truck Electrical
Ford Senior Master Technician--Engines, Drivetrain, Chassis

For PowerStroke problems see dieselmann's Page at:
www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/
For Diesel Products and Supplies:
www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/catalog.htm
For AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants:
www.intellidog.com/DieselSyn

TT2
Old 12-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sweetfire,
I can only tell you what the mechanic from the dealership told me about MY pyro and the max temps. He said the pyro is set up for a post turbo install and the max temp on mine is 1200 degrees. It starts to hit the red line at 1150 and if I hit 1200 I need to take my foot out of the throttle. In the summer mine idles at 300 and in winter it is 250 maybe 225 on a minus zero day. This summer the hottest I got the pyro was 1100, and that was with a outside air temp of 106 and pulling a 7% grade for almost 8 miles. As far as the truck gauges go, the engine temp never went over 210 and the tranny temp got around 180. Now remember this is on my Duramax, I am not sure how different the Powerstroke is.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:03 AM   #32
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Montana Sky hit the nail on the head--the pyro should be positioned where the pyro manufacturer says. Beyond that, it seems to me that position of the pyro depends on what you are trying to do. If your primary interest is protecting or diagnosing the engine, then it ought to measure before the turbo. Point of fact, aircraft exhaust gas temp probes are placed about 1 to two inches down the exhaust manifold. The best systems have a probe and seperate readouts for each cylinder. Single probes aid in leaning the air/gasolene misture but provides little if any diagnostic help. Multiple probe systems are excellent at helping engine diagnostics. Some even provide graphs to show relative perfomance of each cylinder. For instance, if an injector fails the evidence is immediate. My aircraft has individual readouts for heat temp and exhaust gas temps on each cylinder.

If, however,your first concern is the turbo then post turbo probes are better. Here you can actually monitor turbo temps prior to shut down. True, exhaust gasses have cooled by this time but, the fact that you are only installing a single probe will not provide much in the way of engine diagnostics regardless of where it is positioned. There will be a lag (seconds) in the measured temperature changes but this should hardly represent any risk to anything. I suspect, as Bob said, this is why the commercial fleets use post turbo installs.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #33
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Guess I've only got 8 more probes to go.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote