Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Replacement Tire Advice

All, I have been away from the site for a few months, but now i'm back. I am needing to replace my tires and would like to make an informed decision. I've read most of the past mails and know this is an often discussed subject. I pull a 2001 3280 RL. Current tires (originals) are Regul A/P Trail Blazer LT 235/85R16 load range E. Have researched the Discount Tire site and thought the Yokohama Geolander HTS in the same size and load range looked good. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, or do you have another strong suggestion? We put 4K to 8K miles a year on the trailer. Regards, Gary

Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Gary,
A number of folks here have mentioned in other threads that they have gone to a heavier load range tire, usually a G or H. We also have our original tire still (E range, only 7 mos old) but I plan to upgrade to the higher load tires when replacement time comes.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:27 AM   #3
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
some time back i had a different truck and i put a set of geolanders on it. traded truck short time later so can not comment on performance. got those tires from tirerack which has lots of info on their site. am thinking about putting a set on front of our present truck.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Regarding the upgrades to "G" tires, is it necessary to also change the wheels? I've seen a disclaimer that the 100 psi tire pressures require special valves and wheels. If it is required, what type / where to obtain?

Thanks,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
In my opinion, any honorable tire seller should make sure that the tires he sells will do the job for his client. However, I would certainly ask whether the rims I have would support the intended tire purchase. Usually, new tires mean new stems. I would be sure to ask if the stems used would handle 100 to 110 psi.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have not looked at mine that closly yet. But, I too will most likely go to G rated tires when these wear out. Some Rims also are only rated for 80 psi. If I have to buy new rims I guess I will. No sense in upgrading the tires and making the wheel itself the weak link.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
What a shock, just before going on vacation. I was comming home from work and the truck starting shaking & wobbling badly. At first thought it might be a flat tire. Stopped & checked, no flat. Next day after making an appointment at the dealer, I noticed the rear end of the truck wobbling even worse. Moved the mirrors to look at the tires before leaving the parking lot at work, LR tire was wobbling terribly. Went to Firestone, manufacturer, they stated that the belt had separated and the tire wasn't warranted since it was original equipment. Showed them the book in the glove box, stating that tires are covered by manufacturer's waranty. Also discovered 3 other tires splitting. Result having to buy 4 tires for nearly $500, after 42,500 miles. Ouch! Also being commerical grade tires, no mileage waranty and of course the tire is no longer manufactured. Ended up with a set of Firestone Transforce. Only received a 24% discount from retail price on a complete set. Hope these last longer!

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote