Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
F-250 PSD problem?

I have noticed something several times when pulling our 3295RK with my 2005 F-250 PSD and wonder if this is normal or if there is a problem. Upon leaving last Thursday from home and from the campground on Sunday (as well as one other time), I noticed at my first stop sign, within a mile from home and the campsite, that whitish gray smoke was coming from the tailpipe while at a full stop. Upon starting, it stops and each time stopping after that, there has been NO visible smoke whatsoever. The truck does not do this when not pulling the 5er. The engine has just over 3k on it and I allowed it to warm up each time before pulling out. Has anyone else experienced this or could there be a problem brewing with the engine?

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
White smoke from a diesel signifies water in the combustion trail somswhere (fuel, water from the cooling system.). Blue smoke is oil and black is unburned fuel. Hope you don't have a problem. At 3k miles I'd have your friendly dealer do some checking.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Need to add a little to Bob's post. White can be unburnt fuel due to a miss fire in the cylinder. Black unburnt fuel is too much fuel being put to the engine in relation to the ammount of available air. It is hard to tell the difference between white smoke being water or fuel. The easiest way is to get a wiff of it. Makes your eyes burn it is fuel. Usually if it is coolant you can smell the sweetness of the antifreeze. As far as looking in the mirror and seeing it. Fuel smoke will linger and steam will dissapate quickly. The fact that you see it only at your first stop I an going to assume it is simply condensation in the exh system turning to steam as the engine warms up.Hope this helps.
I have not noticed this at all in my PSD.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., I've not noticed this in ours, either. 18k on ours. Rick might have the answer re the condensation but, as Bob says, it wouldn't hurt to have the dealer take a look. You are in warranty and that's the time to find out if there's a problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You might want to take a look at www.flatratetech.com it is a auto tech site with a lot of great info on the PSD.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks everyone! Since it is not going to inconvenience me too much since I still have my F-150 for driving to school, I think I will give the dealership a call tomorrow. That way, if something should go wrong later, there will at least be a record that I had them look at it.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Taking it to the dealer is THE BEST idea. Thats what warranties are for. My PSD has over 100K on it I get a little white smoke at start up but once its warmed up none.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tollmann

Taking it to the dealer is THE BEST idea. Thats what warranties are for. My PSD has over 100K on it I get a little white smoke at start up but once its warmed up none.
I notice on my 7.3 that there is a difference between being "warmed up" by idling and being completely up to operating temperatures due to being on the road.

I wouldn't get too excited.

If you REALLY want to know what is going on inside your expen$ive engine, consider oil sampling. I personally use www.oilguard.com. The results are posted on a web server. It will let you know if there is any abnormal wear on the engine, antifreeze in the oil, excess fuel in the oil, and a whole host of other interesting things.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
After playing phone tag with the service manager, he suggested that I bring the truck in for a look over, saying it could be that the engine needs an update or a problem with the EGR valve. Whatever the problem, he indicated that the truck should not be displaying the white exhaust smoke.

I am taking it in the first of the week and will keep you updated.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don says there is a valve on the engine for draining water out of the fuel system, on diesel trucks. Ours has yellow handle.
He said he understands all diesel trucks have this.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On Wordsmith's Ford (and ours) it is not quite as accessible, Dusty. It is on the fuel pump that's up against the frame underneath the driver's seat. It requires an allen wrench, which I carry in the glovebox. An International mechanic told me to drain that each oil change but I usually don't drain it until around 10k miles unless the water in fuel light comes on to let me know it's getting close to full. But, you're right, there is a drain for that. I like the idea of an easily accessible handle much better.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote