Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Al told me that the new Fords have nice higher numbers, yep. I think he called it the NUMBERS WAR! between GM, Ford and Dodge! He loves reading about that stuff and watching the changes. He talks, dreams, talks some more. Who knows what the future brings, we might even go back to Ford some day (he is a Ford retiree afterall). Who knows, we might sell the house, might go full timing, might buy another 5er?? OOO, life is so full of possibilities.

For now, we have a set up that is pretty comfy for us, and it gets us OUT of here and on the road, and after all, isn't that the most important thing of all??

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yeah, there's always the numbers war but this time there's substance behind it. The frame is the same design and thickness as the F550, just shorter or whatever to fit the F250/F350 size. The brakes are larger, also. I think on our F250 they're larger than last year's F350 but I'd have to go find some numbers to confirm that. New front end under the 4x4 using the control arms from the F550. Etc. Etc. So it's a major improvement in the system, not just number changes. I remember well the horsepower numbers wars in the sixties before the government stepped in and dictated how that's measured. They probably can still fudge, though. I've seen different test quoting different "actual" numbers and they vary wildly from article to article.

A couple of years ago a magazine tester tested the then-new Ford diesel and said he was disappointed in its ability to hold down the speed on a downgrade towing a 10,000 lb trailer. I emailed the guy and we had an extended email conversation. It turns out he did not use tow/haul. He said he should be able to just put it in a low gear and it should hold the speed. I tried it with mine. Use the tow/haul. Just using a low gear without tow/haul is not nearly as effective. This guy got huffy when I suggested he try using the tow/haul as described in the manual and basically told me to buzz off. So much for accurate reporting.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve

Shhhhhh, don't remind Al of all those nice numbers and enhancements. We just cannot/should not trade right now.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:18 AM   #24
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
we have an'02 Chevy 3500 that has given us excellent service ... to improve the ride I took out the longest removable rear spring leaf (on both sides) and added Air Lift Airbags w/ onboard compressor ... removing the spring softened the ride and adding the airbags added more lifting capacity than was lost by removing the spings ... we then replaced the OEM shocks with Bilsteins ... we made those changes over 60,000 miles ago and have been delighted with the results, have towed a very heavy TT over 29,000 miles in the last 2 years ... can't help you with mileage, ours is a Duramax Diesel/Allison combination

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you don't need to! Your truck does a great job for you so why trade? But, Al, being a guy, well, I know the feeling well! Truck fever strikes again!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote