Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Dually in deep snow

Well, I've become a convert. We talked a while ago about duallies in the snow; and I opined that they'd be better. Others disagreed. After a surprise 22 inch snow (yes, in Kentucky), I've changed my tune. The snow was deep enough to be seriously dragging in the undercarriage of the truck, and it got stuck half way to the street. After nearly a full day, I managed to get it out. I think the biggest problem was the extra track I was trying to make on both sides. If there had been a few less inches, it may have been alright. Lessons learned...
Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
as long as you know your limitations, you'll be fine. when you think you can do anything is when you get into trouble!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I even plow with mine! it has an 8 1/2' plow....and works great! ......but a single axil is always better in snow!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I am now the proud owner of a dually,

I think it floats on the surface more so in fresh snow.

As far as the Axles dragging stopping your motion.

I believe the single axle would behave the same. If anything, the dually would allow the rear axle to lift above a single tire axle on the rear. Consider; in the snow, the larger tire foot print, the rear of the dually vs a single and the dual tire rear ends, both are the same weight. The road surface contact area of the dually is twice that of a single.

This may not be a good explanation. But its just physics with many parameters Weight, Mass, Displacement, Friction........and so on

Dual rear wheels won't help with the front digging in though.

The rear end can not dig in to the pavement as easily with dual rear wheels which causes the rear end to float more tire on the surface of the freshly fallen snow.

Just my experiences and opinion
Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
There are a few factors that affect performance in the snow. One disadvantage of the dually is the fact that the rear if a pickup is inherently light, the light rear coupled with 4 tires instead of 2 causes a traction problem due to contact pressure. The light weight is distributed onto 4 tires instead of 2 (why the tires spin easier in the rain on a dually vs single wheel) so contact pressure is decreased.

The fact that the diesel engine is very heavy does not help matters much either especially in the mud. I have found that adding some weight across the tailgate makes a world of difference in both traction and the way the truck rides. I lay a row of 16" concrete blocks across the tailgate that weigh about 800 lbs.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Wow! Guys, this is great discussion. I was considering an upgrade this year from a 250 to a 350 dually. However, I had already found out about the added cost of tire rotation, and now this issue with snow, I may go with the 350 single axle. Thanks for something to consider.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:21 AM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

Wow! Guys, this is great discussion. I was considering an upgrade this year from a 250 to a 350 dually.
Native Tex, unless you are going to be hauling live cargo, go with the single wheels. I have pulled my Monty with my husbands truck, (under my signature) and it pulls great. The only reason I have a dually is for the horses, like when they move around back in the trailer the dual wheels help with stability.

Plus, backing into a camper spot with a dually is NOT an easy process, the turning ratio is much smaller.

Hope I helped.

But, back to the topic, yes they SUCK in the snow. My daughter gets on me cause I go so slow in the snow, she thinks cause it's a big truck it can handle it. Even in four wheel drive you certainly can feel the back end want to slip out any time. I of course just take it easy and just listen to her complain.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:32 AM   #8
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I've had 2 duallies and 2 single rear wheel trucks. The dually is certainly more challenged in the snow and that is important to us since we live in a snow area. I wanted the dually again on my last truck so my solution was the 4 wheel drive. Works fine for us now...better than my SRW non 4WD pickup did.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I drive a dually and Gordon I think last time I told you I love mine dually. I had never been stuck etc etc BUT, then there were these hurricanes and evacuations and Georgia CLAY! Up until the last hurricane that hit, I had never been stuck in my dually. In snow, ice, mud, rain and a whole lot more it never got stuck. Then my rear tires had the opportunity to meet up with Georgia CLAY. Stuck big time with TT in tow. Had to have a tow truck come out etc etc. But, even with all that said I will never trade out of a dually. Single rear wheels are good for some but it's just not good for us. I like the ability to tow the 327RKS and have my Kawie 750 Brute Force ATV or my motorcycle in the bed of the truck as we travel. During the hurricane evacuations we carried a whole lot of stuff, a generator and supplies in the bed of the truck as we towed the TT. We would have never been able to do it without a dually. The best part is the wife loves the truck.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff Heiser, do you live in Merritt Island or are you there now? We passed through there last Saturday, drove through the wildlife refuge and up to the Manatee Observation Deck after driving the Canaveral National Seashore. Had we known you are there we would have tried to arrange to get together on our way though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 AM   #11
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Steve and Vicki,
We live in Merritt Island. We also have a place in North Florida in a town named Old Town. We plan on only being in Merritt Island for a few more years then plan on traveling for a few years watching our youngest play college football and then maybe settle in NC or TN.

Where you visited is a really nice area. Everytime we have been there we have seen more gators than manatees. Anytime you pass through, lunch or dinner would be great. My wife and I would love to talk to you guys about fulltiming. We have this vision of us doing the same but my wife is still not convinced. I am ready to go today but.....

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff, we're at Tybee Island, Savannah, GA until early March. If you folks get up this way let us know and maybe we can get together.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:50 AM   #13
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Although it's not an imminent decision, I'll probably go with the single rear wheel next time. I do like the extra stability on the highway, but Sue's points about jockeying it around in tight quarters are accurate. I can's talk aboutthe cost of rotating, but that's coming up soon. My dealer has avoided the issue, and I've not pushed it. However...

Steve, we stopped in to see Les and Julie during a quick trip to the Ft Meyers area. We heard you were at the Tampa RV show along with some others. Sorry we missed you. Even more sorry that big blocks of time are still a couple years away.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry we missed you, too. We enjoyed meeting Les and Julie, as well as some others at the show. And seeing again those we met at the rally. Maybe we'll connect another time. As I mentioned above, we're near Savannah, so if you're up this way...