Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't twist that power outlet

I didn't actually understand how the 12v power outlets were put together in our rig. I would slightly twist the plug on our bedroom TV when I unplugged it to either move the TV outside or, if we are boon docking, plug in a bedroom fan. Unfortunately the power outlet is screwed together and so, over time, I unscrewed it and it came apart and shorted out in the middle of the night at a Pilot truck stop. Since both of the power outlets in the bedroom are on the same circuit, we had to do without a fan that night since I figured if I put new fuse in it would probably blow again so we couldn't use the other outlet. Today I took the cover plate off and figured it out. Since they left me no extra cable I had to take that side apart first and then I could pull the cover plate out enough to unplug the wires from both parts of the power outlet. That allowed me to screw the parts back together again, plug the wires back in, reattach the cable and screw the plate back on the wall. New fuse and everything works again.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I guess I won't be messing with that now. I thought about moving the 12 volt TV to the basement and watch TV outside, but after what you said I think I'll just leave it alone.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's really no problem to move it to the basement. What I did was a direct result of laziness. When we stop overnight at a box store or truck stop we use a 12v fan to cool us in bed. Rather than release the TV and pull the plug straight out I would reach in behind the TV and pull it out inadvertently twisting the TV's plug when I did it. I didn't think it mattered until it came apart and I discovered the outlet was screwed together and I was unscrewing it by accident. As tight as I have it now I don't think it could do it again even if I went back to my old ways, but I won't.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Dick, I think if you look at the receptical, you will see it is made of some light weight metal. I think I would invest in another for my fan. Just my opinion.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I've suffered through these 12v outlet problems as well.

My solution: I went to just about any auto supply store and purchased a 12v power strip. This way, the onboard/built-in outlet is never abused. They're inexpensive enough, and also protected with their own fuse.

http://bit.ly/1fGPzZ2
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

I've suffered through these 12v outlet problems as well.

My solution: I went to just about any auto supply store and purchased a 12v power strip. This way, the onboard/built-in outlet is never abused. They're inexpensive enough, and also protected with their own fuse.

http://bit.ly/1fGPzZ2
As an added benefit, some come with a USB port too so you can charge your phone.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote