Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Break downs at the rally aren't fun-Update 2 fixed

Our Norcold 1210 went haywire here at the Rally. Talked to Keystone customer service late Friday, Don gave me several numbers to call for local mobile service. Left messages at many, got frustrated with the rest. Made a call to Tiara RV, Jennifer made a call to Norcold for me as her techs had left for the day. She even offered to lend me a small frig to use while ours is on the fritz. Got a call back from Norcold rep who will be here Monday, he had me disconnect the thermistor to try and get it cooling again. It worked! He said he'll stop by on Monday to see what progress I've made. My unit is out of warranty so I'm very grateful for all the help, especially to Tiara-I thought the offer of the frig was way far and above.

That bugle you hear over on the hill is Taps being played for my Norcold. Apparently it is more serious than just a thermistor-it quit again sometime this morning and no amount of coaxing is bringing back on this time.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good to hear your fridge is back on line.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We have the same unit as you BethandKevin and had the same problem when I first bought it and on our first road trip ,did the same thing unplugged it for a while and it would work then go down for the count again Finally my neighbor told me sometimes in the mfg process pieces of solder get in the cooling tube and clogs it up so I shut down the power to the fridge for a few hours and let it cool down and "tapped" all over the the cooling tube to dislodge the possible obstruction and what do ya know it has worked great ever since GO FIGURE??? I thought it sounded crazy but what the heck it worked!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad Tiara came thru for you, they've been good to many of us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Just curious BethandKevin but did your fridge quit shortly after having your unit washed or after you yourselves had washed it.

There is a small circuit board that controls the high limit switch and if it gets wet it can destroy the board.

Just a thought.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Keystone got us in touch with All Seasons RV. They apparently do all the repair work on the Keystone products that have a problem before leaving the factory. we were there about an hour an a half before the tech found the problem-one terminal was backed out of the thermistor connector. He showed me what he had found then locked the terminal in place. Working great since. In hindsight, makes perfect sense now, the problem was so random (twice in 18 months). Keystone did not cover the one hour labor charge since there were no bad parts involved. I'd be less than candid if I said I was 100% happy as I incurred an expense, but Don at Keystone did get me to someone who could help an out of towner.

http://www.allseasonsrvappliance.com/index2.html
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At least it's fixed. Glad it finally worked out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Got my rig new in '06. Second outing at about 4 months old, the fridge quits. Bought an icemaker to use the thing as a cooler in the meantime. Then took it back to the dealer. It took them 7.5 weeks to fix it because they were waiting for a part that took about 5.5 weeks to show up. I kept asking for them to just replace the unit with a new one and they told me that wasn't an option. HUH?! Good thing we didn't live in it. After that I don't go to that dealer and either fix it myself or go elsewhere.

So what was done to fix the second failure and how long did it take?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Glad to learn that the fridge is fixed. Keystone did good service for us before the Rally. We let two small issues slide by that they had reluctantly agreed to do after we had pushed. It was at that point we recognized that Keystone had within reason met our warranty expectations.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote