Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
sunscreen

Thanks, Steve. Leon made the sunscreen you described on your web site. We are sitting in the sun with the back of the trailer getting the afternoon sun. It was 104 degrees here today and the screen really helped. We could definitely tell the difference.

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,

They really do the job. We use ours at almost every stop, especially on the west side. After a year and a half they're as good as new. Easy on, easy off.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I obviously missed something here ... what sunshade/sunscreen? what website? We're researching sunshades and this sounds like something we'd like to check out.[
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Vicky,

Go to www.msnusers.com/azstar Go to Pictures at upper left or lower right corner of the page. Click on the slides to get full screen.

Lowes & HD sells everything needed in the window screen area.

I made them for all 12 of our TT's windows. I also made them for our home in AZ, but using 4 sided frames on those of course.

Give me a hollar if you like what you see and need more info.

Happy Camping
Old 07-21-2006, 03:07 AM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Thanks! Will put that in our "something to think about" folder.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Azstar,

I have put your website in my favorites in the get around tuit list.

I am curious about how well they stay attached when it is windy and how do you store them? I noticied that you have raised the large living room window up so you could open your windows. Do you have velcro further up on the screen to keep it there?

Do you still keep your day and night shades down along with these sunscreens? I would love to be able to have something that would allow me to have my shades up, or at least my night shades so you can see out of your Monty during the day. I hate feeling like I am enclosed in a box.

Can you see through the shades into the Monty from outside during the day or at night if you have lights on?

Thanks for your reply.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Colleen,

We do have the shades up during the day and no you can't see into the rig during the day. If we're out we will put the shades down for that extra layer of insulstion. We also want to see out and they work super for this reason. Yes you can see into the coach at night just like using the day portion of your day/night shades.

We have been in some pretty high winds and they have never come loose. I installed a 2 inch velcro strip every foot. I would not go down the road with them that's for sure.

As far as storage they roll up into a pretty small package. They might fit nicely behind a couch or along any wall. We have the TT so for us the perfect place is the rear bumper storage. I cut a length of plastic gutter to slide into the bumper storage and I'm able to store them there. It worked out great for us.

Wish you the best,
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Steve, Thanks for your idea. I followed up on it last year and made them for all of the lower windows in our 5th wheel.

I have found that in very high winds (I suppose 50 mph plus), they will get to flapping and I've had them come loose at one end. One time one even pulled the spline out of the channel.

Been thinking about adding another velcro or two along the long fabric dimension. I guess I'd have to sew it to the material.

They really make a difference. I just don't leave them up when we leave.

Russ
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Hi Steve and Nina, thanks for the great picture trail and information. Today I bought the solar screening (I was originally going to use shadecloth--but this is MUCH better), however Home Depot only had 7/16" frames and they feel pretty flimsy. I'll keep looking for sturdier framing material. I plan to make the shades for the back, slideout windows and the bedroom window. Of course, it means we'll have to get that great folding ladder at CW, too!!!
Mariana
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:51 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

For those who are going to make the screens, look closely at the photo titled "Close-up of finished product". You can see in this photo the way I installed the screen material to the frames. It has the screen looping back on to itself. It is the reverse of what one would do if making a window screen. By doing it this way it tends to make the velcro attach flater when installed on the Coach. I played with the two different ways and this way worked the best.

Happy camping