Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
digger
Established Member

M.O.C. #581
Generator Fuel Tank

Hi Just wondering if anyone has installed a permanent gas generator in their monty and if so did they also install a fuel tank. I would like to know where i can purchase one Thanks

digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I would suggest a marine fuel tank if you are set on mounting a gas generator in the front compartment, just make sure you run some kind of exhaust to get the fumes away from the montana, most everyone is running honda's. I'm sure someone that is using that set up will be able to help out a little better, Good luck. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger

Hi Just wondering if anyone has installed a permanent gas generator in their monty and if so did they also install a fuel tank. I would like to know where i can purchase one Thanks
I believe its not uncommon to install propane and tie into the existing propane vs petrol. We have portables so have no experience with gas tank installations.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have two Honda 2000's which I run in parallel outside the Monty. I have them strapped down in the front compartment while traveling. I purchased a tempo 17.5 gallon gas tank, model #394710, from West Marine which is strapped down on the slide in the storage comp. I used marine fittings and modified gas caps to connect both gens to the tank. Tank is empty except when I sure Iam going to use it.
Bill
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs.../10001/79/78/6
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I installed a Generac gas unit in my old Wildwood. I used a marine tank with gauge. I did some searching on line for the right size for my space. It wasn't difficult to mount. I added a tank vent to the outside of the compartment. The biggest problem with the gas system was being able to refill the gas tank. I used a short straight fill neck inside the front compartment. Usually filled the tank with a 1 gal gas can (plastic). It worked but if I ever do a permanent installation again, I will spend the extra $ for the propane version. Beside the fact I never felt comfortable with 6 gallons of gasoline under my pillow.

Really looking hard at the twin Honda 2000 system.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I do kwow a company that builds tanks will build too suit the name is ATTA aluminum tanks and truck accesories They have built several tanks for us in the racing world and are top notch www.attatank.com
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I installed a gasoline Onan MicroQuiet 4000 that I purchased from Colorado Standby. It just seemed the best solution for us even though we have to have three different fuel sources.
They also had the down pipe and exhaust extensions that I needed.

It was a VERY tight fit in the "generator ready" compartment! I had to do some modifications to the Montana factory installed welded in place brackets. I think they may have used the wrong brackets as the holes were in a different position than the Onan template & generator.

I also bought a Tempo 6.5 gallon marine gasoline tank from them, which I modified slightly by cutting off the pickup tube and adding a longer extension to it. This was done to allow me to leave the tank flat or stand it on end to draw out fuel. The fuel hose to the generator is long enough to allow me draw fuel from the tank while leaving the tank in the pickup bed, on the ground, or stored in the RH propane compartment in place of that propane tank. A quick disconnect is attached to the Tempo tank and the end of the fuel intake hose.

The Tempo tank has a vent screw so the fuel can be stored safely with no fumes. When stored in the propane compartment, I use the slightly repositioned propane tank holding strap to secure the it. I used some PVC conduit to protect the fuel line from any flying debris. Before running the fuel hose through the conduit, I also enclosed it in some flexible split wire loom tubing.

The capacity of the fuel tank is reduced to about 6 gallons to keep it below the vent opening if used in the upright position, and in order to get the last bit of fuel out of it it must be stood upright - due to my pickup tube modification.

I've mostly used it by laying it on the ground, and use a small bicycle cable form the tank handle to the landing gear to keep the honest people honest. It picks up the fuel promptly, even in the first start after long storage.

The fuel tank will fit inside my in-bed tool box for security. We are pleased with the setup, and mostly just use it when we know we are going to be without hookups for a week or so. Otherwise, I just carry a small one gallon gas can "just in case". I would never feel comfortable with gasoline stored anywhere inside the trailer.

We have CO detector with a readout and alarm that we plug in whenever we use the gen. A couple of times we have picked up a very small reading when a small breeze was blowing from the front. I carry a small extra piece of exhaust tubing (aluminum pipe) so I can extend the exhaust a couple of feet beyond the rig temporarily.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote