Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sunscreen for large window Update w/picture

We finally found a nice sunscreen for the back window. It is by Sunguard. We are able to use velcro so no need to drill holes. You can see out but others cant see in. I think it will help with the heat and sun. We were thinking about going with the roller shade but thought it would be best not to put holes in if we didnt have to...and the price of this was so much cheaper than the roller shade.

6/19 Here is the sunscreen on the back window. We are very pleased with it and it sure does a good job. We opted for the velcro instead of the snaps.

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
campbud,
Did you order this off Sungurads website? I have been looking at the Care Free of Colorado rear roller shades, but like you would rather not drill if I do not have to.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I ordered it from RVToyStore.com online or you can phone them at 1-800-334-5533
I didnt have to pay shipping or tax. They also have a 30 day return policy on everything that they sell. They also match the price if you find it elsewhere for a cheaper price.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We had a sunscreen made for our large rear window in Florida last year. They used marine stainless snaps to secure it. (no rust stains). We use it when the rig is parked directly in the late afernoon sun. Reguardless of which way you secure the screen, don't fold it up. Role it up and store it behind your sofa. The folding bends will be visable when you put it up. We were warned by the people that made it. They had a mobile van and made them on site in the Thousand Trails park to fit the trailer.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ken and Velda, Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to do that...behind the couch sounds like a good storage for it.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
On one of these rv web sites somebody posted how they made their own sun screens from window screen channel and garden shade cloth.(REAL SLICK)Just cut a length of channel for the top and bottom use velcro to hold cut shade cloth to fit.Shade cloth comes in color of your choice.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,

It was me. If you'll do a search for my posts I think you can find a link and instructions.

Hey Steve R. can you help find it? I posted it a year ago.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Found it,

Go to http://www.msnusers.com/azstar/

Go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on pictures. I bought the material at Home Depot, Lowes also has it. It was quite easy and after over a year still very pleased with it. One of my better inventions.

You can click on each slide to enlarge.

Happy Camping
Old 06-02-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Well Azstar I for one thank you. I'm going to use your idea. Just wondering how long the velcro will last and witch part you put on the window.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hard loop side on windows. Make sure you get the industrial velcro. Also make the sun screens large enough to cover window frames, as a lot of heat is brought into the Coach by way of the Alum Window frames.

Happy Camping
Old 06-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have the rollup version on my Monty. I noticed you mentioned that you can see out, but not see in ... that is true until night time. With say some dinette lights on, stand outside after dark and look in ... so much for candle light romance! Ha! JFYI
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
dieselguy, I will have to see if you can see with a light on. I know the tinted windows you cant see in at night unless you have a light on. Do have to say though that the Montana windows are the only ones that I have found on an rv that are so tinted...which is what I like.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
After reading this thread, got a Sunguard screen and it works great. Used snaps and made the error of just measuring the distance between snaps to drill the holes or just add another 1/8". There is a little stretch in the material, so it helps to have someone pull it tight. So we have a little wrinkle instead of it being drum tight.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote