Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Drain fitting for fresh water tank

The fresh water tank needs to be drained, sanitized with a bleach solution, then drained and flushed again, anywhere from 2 to 4 times a year. That is a LOT of water dumped onto the ground, and it all goes right next to the Monty, just where you have to stand to do the job, or you have to haul it away in buckets. I want to be able to drain all that water through a hose, and direct it to wherever I want it to go..sewer drain, lawn area, but away from the Monty.

I bought a replacement petcock- style valve at CW. ($15 (for a $3 plastic valve!!…I’m sure you can do better, but I was there anyhow…!!) Also need one hose clamp and one small hose section (about 1 ft in length), that comes with most of the “inline” charcoal water filters.

Drained the fresh water tank, (last time into buckets!!) Loosened the clamp that holds the present drain cap fixture in place and removed it. Replaced it with the petcock valve and tightened the clamp. Took the short hose length and cut off the male connector about 2 inches down the hose. That “stub” of ½ inch hose fits onto the bottom of the petcock valve. Used a hose clamp to secure that.

Now, all I have to do is hook a hose to that “stub” end, run it to wherever I wish to have the water go, and then open the petcock. When you are through with the drain and flush process, close the petcock and disconnect the hose. I remove the “stub” and store it, and replace it with the “cap” that screws onto the end of the petcock valve. Just added protection for the valve end and added leak protection.

No more hauling buckets and getting water everywhere while removing and installing the cap on the drain.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Great idea! How about some pics and I build a Show and Tell page featuring this drain.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Glenn, do you post notices somewhere when you update the Show & Tell or rig pictures ??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I just KNEW someon would want pictures!! Should have done it to begin with. LOL OK, will do, but not until tomorrow

Old 04-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

Glenn, do you post notices somewhere when you update the Show & Tell or rig pictures ??
Actually no. I add to the site or update the individual pages almost everyday. I would be flooding the forum with daily notices although that would be a great way to stack my count.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Here are the pictures. I made them fairly small so to avoid cluttering up the page.

One shows the “stub” made from a piece of hose. One shows the petcock valve installed as a replacement for the original drain end. The original drain cap fits the end of the new petcock valve. The third picture shows the petcock valve with the drain cap removed and the “stub” about to be put on the end of the valve. Just fit it on, tighten up the clamp, hook whatever length of hose you want to that “stub” and open the petcock valve.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quoting my post from the TST2 post...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Ok now you got it but if you want me to build a web page these pics will be a bit small.
So as not to take up a ton of space on the forum, can you Email or PM the originals to me?
Not too worry if they are big as I will reduce them.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Comin' to ya' via e-mail..
Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great idea, PJ! Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

The fresh water tank needs to be drained, sanitized with a bleach solution, then drained and flushed again, anywhere from 2 to 4 times a year. That is a LOT of water dumped onto the ground, and it all goes right next to the Monty, just where you have to stand to do the job, or you have to haul it away in buckets. I want to be able to drain all that water through a hose, and direct it to wherever I want it to go..sewer drain, lawn area, but away from the Monty.

I bought a replacement petcock- style valve at CW. ($15 (for a $3 plastic valve!!…I’m sure you can do better, but I was there anyhow…!!) Also need one hose clamp and one small hose section (about 1 ft in length), that comes with most of the “inline” charcoal water filters.

Drained the fresh water tank, (last time into buckets!!) Loosened the clamp that holds the present drain cap fixture in place and removed it. Replaced it with the petcock valve and tightened the clamp. Took the short hose length and cut off the male connector about 2 inches down the hose. That “stub” of ½ inch hose fits onto the bottom of the petcock valve. Used a hose clamp to secure that.

Now, all I have to do is hook a hose to that “stub” end, run it to wherever I wish to have the water go, and then open the petcock. When you are through with the drain and flush process, close the petcock and disconnect the hose. I remove the “stub” and store it, and replace it with the “cap” that screws onto the end of the petcock valve. Just added protection for the valve end and added leak protection.

No more hauling buckets and getting water everywhere while removing and installing the cap on the drain.
I did the same about 3 years ago works great!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK, the page is set up.

Go to MontanaOwners.Com
Than click on "MOC Member's Show and Tell"