Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Off Center Hitch?

I have a 3500 Dodge Diesel short box. Turns are a little tight. I can only move my slider hitch when unit is unhooked so not much help. Question is...I moved the hitch about six inches further back to allow for more turning radius in moving from one park to another. It seems to ride level and smooth. Wondering if it would be Okay to leave it like it is for the 1600 mile trip home. (Yuma to Saskatchewan Canada) Has anyone out there experienced something similar??

JimCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have a Reese 16K Quik-Slide Hitch, that can be slid with the Trailer hitched, by moving the handle to the "Manuevering", or "Towing" Position, then applying the Trailer Brakes manually, and either pulling foward with the RV Brakes on to move to the "Manuevering" Position, or applying the brakes, and go in reverse to slide it back to the "Towing" Position. What kind of hitch are you using???

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
JimCin,
By moving the hitch back 6 inches does this now locate your hitch and kingpin behind the rear axle of the truck? I am not an expert and can only share my thoughts on this. If your kingpin is now behind the axle you are adding alot more weight to the rear of the truck which could cause some steering issues (light on the front wheels). I had read a few different web pages stating that you want to have the hitch on or 1" infront of the rear axle to provide proper weight balance on the truck. If it is possible and your hitch is back where I think it might be, try and hit the local CAT scales and weigh your truck and coach hooked up. I am wondering if it is possible that you could be over loading the carrying capacity of the rear tires. The only other option I could think of is look into buying a Superglide, that will give you 14" of sliding room automatically to clear your cab. Again just my thoughts.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
I appreciate the input. Appears as though a different slider hitch might be the answer.
JimCin is offline   Reply With Quote