Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree the V10 is an excellent engine. We had that engine in a 1999 F350 towing this Montana. The PSD I have does a better job, particularly uphill at serious altitude. The newer V10 has still more hp and torque so may do even better than mine did. In any case, it's an outstanding engine. As for fuel, we consistently get 40% better fuel mileage with this diesel than we did with the V10. That's both towing and solo. Until diesel prices are 40% higher than gas, I'll continue to feel it's cost effective. However, with the availability of some terrific gas engines for towing I don't think fuel efficiency should be the only factor. There are other factors one should consider before determining which is better for them. Richfaa did just that and for him the V10 is best. When we were working and the truck was my daily driver and the nearest diesel station was 3 miles in the wrong direction, the V10 made more sense for us. Now, the diesel fits us best.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The probabilities are that we will never do the miles per year that Steve R and other full timers do but I can see us doing 15K or maybe even more in 07/08 and those are the kind of miles that a diesel likes.Helen is a very logical lady and I know that she will accept the diesel if our needs dictate it. The diesel is a workhouse and it loves to be run long and hard.There is a sign in the bus garage.."Keep thy turbo temperatures up" The shop foreman says ..it brings tears to my eyes to see a diesel running the kidddies to school and and running errands..should be against the law...says he... This is the same guy that told me that If you could not put 30,000 miles a year on a diesel you should not be allowed to own one...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #23
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
It is funny you mention an oil leak. I was installing a brush guard on my truck today and was under the front of my truck on a creeper. Looked up and found a slight oil spot just in the front between the oil pan and back side of the fan. Could be a pan leak or possible front main. At any rate, it is very slight but it will be taken to the dealer for a check. This is my second Ford diesel one 7.3 and this new 6.0 and this is the only leak of any kind I have ever had. International builds a great engine for Ford.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote