Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Emergency Roadcare policies

I have a question about road service. I am hoping that after school lets out next year ( 8 year old grandson) we will be able to do some traveling, so far it has all been local with our furthest trip being to Disney. It is my plan to head for Louisiana to try and locate family and I would like to enroll in Emergency Road service from either Camping World or the Good Sam club. I have complete faith in both my Montana and my F-350 but I do know that stuff happens and Murphy is always silently waiting for an opportunity. The back of my truck looks like a mobile maintenance shop, I even have an air compressor (small) to maintain correct tire pressure, always. Can anyone share with me the positive and any negatives with these programs. I would really appreciate it.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can't beat Camping World's Road Care Service. It's very reliable and the price is right. We broke down last year and they sent 2 trucks: one to pull the fifth wheel and one to carry the tow vehicle.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Pete
We have had Good Sam Emergency Road Service for many years. They have been nothing but great. Even called us back to make sure we were okay. In the years we have had them we've had 2 blow outs (previous 5er) on I5 in the middle of the boondocks in Calif. and they took care of us great. Besides that they have changed flat tires for us when parked. It is about $100 per year and I would highly recommend them. Now that we are down to one vehicle (TV) and the Monty and we can do all the DMV on line, we have given up AAA and just have Good Sam.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
check w/our insurance company. We did and found for 18.00 more a year we have the same coverage that Good Sam offers for 98.00.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
But are you sure they have the capabilites of towing the rig if you need it done. Or even if they offer that. Also a lot of the road services cannot change tires on the rigs.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks for the information, I also called my insurance company and for $18.00 every six months they will cover the tow vehicle but not the Montana, I belong to the Good Sam Club so maybe I will purchase the Road Service from them, thanks again friends.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
IMHO go with Good Sam ERS. We did and we will continue to renew.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They all do about the same thing and as with everything you need to do a little homework to make sure they will provide the coverage you need.We had good Sam and they are OK.Had a little trouble in them getting a provoider to us..Switched to Allstate because we figured they had MORE providers.Had to use Allstate once, broke a Spring on the TT, and they were excellent.There are a lot of tow truck operators/ service garages/ etc that never heard of Good Sams but most everyone has heard of Allstate..somethng to think about....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
We have used our Good Sam Emergency Road Service twice in the last year. On both occasions they have been quick, courteous, and professional. The service providers they used have also been outstanding. Both occasions were in cities; I don't know if the experience would have differed in a rural area.

Good Sam apparently has a database that is tailored for RV users. When our truck broke down in Flagstaff, the Good Sam operator easily looked up the nearest campground and the local Ford dealership. That allowed us to call and make arrangements with each while the tow truck was en route. The tow truck took our truck and Montana to the nearby campground, waited while we registered and unhitched the Montana, then towed the truck to the Ford dealership for repairs. Their service made a difficult situation in a strange city much easier.

We hope not to have to use them again, but we won't be without Good Sam ERS in our future travels. It has worked well for us.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I do believe Roman4 hit the nail directly on the head..."Good Sam apparently has a database that is tailored for RV users". Something that most other road service providers do not have.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote