Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 06:15 AM   #21
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
GFI tripping when disconnecting shore power sounds like to me the transfer switch may be defective
I thought so too. Had the dealer check it out and they could not find anything wrong and of course could not duplicate the problem. Their finding was maybe it should have come with two batteries. They didn't offer to give me a second battery even though they were the selling dealer.
Anyway, I could not duplicate the problem again either, so maybe it was just a low battery of something. I'll likely never know. Seems I read somewhere that it is good to shut off the inverter when on shore power since the transfer switch has by passed it anyway. Easy enough to do.

I hope I just did not open another can of worms with that.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #22
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
The GFI tripping is a symptom of 'something' being afoot. Not necessarily a safety issue, but the behavior may change as the issue persists.

It might we worth the effort to explore swapping out the GFI to ensure it isn't failing. After that it is an explore of how the power is getting transferred over, (if the GFI is good) somewhere in the path their is an imbalance between hot and neutral which is causing the GFI to trip.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #23
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Hydraulic jacks and res refer should come with 2 batteries. Ours did
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #24
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
Yup,
You don't get a lot of power from the tow vehicle to the towed items batteries. Think more along the lines of a top off vs actually charging.

You can measure the amount of power being transferred, its pretty low. From memory I believe it was a couple amps or so.

On my 2015 when we used the onboard inverter to keep the fridge running during a long tow. If we started with a cold fridge the onboard batteries and being towing had no issues keeping up. Even if we dry camped for a night when doing a long pull the batteries would be enough to run the fridge overnight and still pull in all the slides in the am.
I can not attest to the newer Trucks. But the charging circuit was always a 30amp connection. Am I dating my self and age and lack of knowledge?