Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Axle out of Alignment

Have a 2007 3295RK Montana we like the unit but have had a number of thing like slides, water heater, A/C,broker wheel and a lot of other little things.
Tires were Mission brand and were replaced at no charge..

I have ordered the "wet bolt Kit" and will install next week .. Now with that said the axles have been aligned however the center distance of the two axles are not the same on both sides.. about 2" inches wider on driver side than on passenger side of the unit..
Question ?? is: has anone else seen this problem and what did you do to correct ?? Is this a known problem ?? We will be going back to Alaska in a few weeks and would like to correct befor a road failure

Thanks Much Jerry S Smith

Jerry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have not had this problem but there are many threads on it. I would suggest a search in MOC and I am sure you will find plenty on this subject. But my answer would be to take it to a reputable truck garage where they align the big trucks. They do this every day and know what they are doing. It can be repaired, and it by all means should be done, especially 2" out. Thats a lot.

I'm sure more people will come along with experience on this matter.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
You need to pull the unit in a straight line before taking the measurement. If the unit was in a slight turn backing up or moving forward you will see a difference between the two.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
You say the axles have been aligned and now there is a 2' difference, I would certainly have them recheck it to see if anything is broken. When one of our shackles broke they rubbed against the the other when backing up.
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Thanks to all....
Jerry
Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I work for a trucking company and here is how we check alignment on trailers. Drop a plumb bob at the king pin. Measure from center line of the axle to the plumb bob. Distance should be the same. We have tolerances on semi trailers but not sure what they would be for RV. Once you have the front axle measured then measure from the center line of the front axle to the center line of the rear axle.
As previous poster said make sure you pull forward in a straight line so there is no "Load" on the tires or axles.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

I work for a trucking company and here is how we check alignment on trailers. Drop a plumb bob at the king pin. Measure from center line of the axle to the plumb bob. Distance should be the same. We have tolerances on semi trailers but not sure what they would be for RV. Once you have the front axle measured then measure from the center line of the front axle to the center line of the rear axle.
As previous poster said make sure you pull forward in a straight line so there is no "Load" on the tires or axles.
These don't have king pins, so I'm not sure what they use for point of reference. Measuring center to center will tell if the axles are the same distance a part, but without a point of reference, there's no way to tell if they are aligned unless you measure from the center point on right rear axle to the center point on the front left axle, and repeat for the opposite axles and compare the measurements.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

These don't have king pins, so I'm not sure what they use for point of reference. Measuring center to center will tell if the axles are the same distance a part, but without a point of reference, there's no way to tell if they are aligned unless you measure from the center point on right rear axle to the center point on the front left axle, and repeat for the opposite axles and compare the measurements.
Tom S.If your trailer doesn't have a king pin what do you hook onto the 5th wheel hitch.?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Hello to all...I just checked the center distance on both spring brackets where welded to frame just before reading your note, measurements are RIGHT-ON same on both sides..Good to have some trucking friends give some of their advice though. I was with Cummins diesel for 35 years... I have found the problem, and it is, the spring shackles on passenger side, I did not see it at first but thry are hitting the Morride box...

Thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions.. Sure was a help.
Jerry