Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
Pirit Heated water hose

Hello Everyone,
I want to take a minute and tell of my experience this morning.

I have posted a couple of times that I use the Pirit heated water hose instead of heat tape and insulation. It is a neater, cleaner setup for me.

Last night it got real cold here in Ohio again and this morning I woke to a frozen water line.

I rememered that I had the receipt/invoice in my email. At 1:20pm today I replyed to that email from last October explaining my issues with the hose. By 1:35PM I not only had a response to my email but also a UPS ship notice that my replacement hose has shipped and that I will have it on Friday.

I realize that 3 months is not good for this hose to fail already but their response was phenomenal in my opinion. They are absolutely great to work with.
Craig

noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Craig,

It's nice to hear they are standing behind their product. I also have one of their hoses and absolutly love it. During the bitter cold we had earlier this month it did great, no freeze ups even in the -0 temps.

Any indication why yours failed?
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
No indication that I can see from looking at it. I will be shipping it back to them upon receipt of the replacement. I will try to remember and include a note requesting an update when they receive it. I like mine as well and am hopeful that this failure (especially on such a new hose) is a fluke and not a normal happening.
Will keep you posted if any news is received.
Craig
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Craig, Are you sure it was the hose frozen and not the hydrant that the hose was hooked to. I only ask this as we had a campground neighbor during a snow storm in Holbrook Az. He had a heat tape wrapped around his insulated hose. The next morning no water. He was cussing the heat tape. The hose was fine the hydrant was frozen. Either way it sounds like great service from the manufacturer.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
jimcol,
Yes am sure. The spigot is in a pit below grade and I checked the hose and it was hard as a rock.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey Craig, how are you going to get that hose thawed out in order to send it back? Or, are you just going to get a really long box to ship it in? Just funning you. Glad you had such a good response from Pirit.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Hey Craig.

I got up this morning to no water!! I went out and and found my hose was frozen as well. Can't believe it happened that very next day after reading your post. I called Pirit and he talked about where the thermostat is located on the hose (it's on the male end) and if it's inside a compartment it may not be coming on when it needs to. I told him we have had no problems to date even with temps below zero. He wants me to thaw the hose and then use a small section of white hose so the heated hose stays outside the cabinet. I was a little leary of trying this afraid the small section would be prone to freezing and again told him I thought it was strange it has worked fine for the past 2 1/2 months. He decided to go ahead and send me a new hose and says it will ship out today.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #8
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
ehmcfarl
HAHAHA I thought about that but the UPS guy has been good to me and I don't want to make him angry. Actually I will likely hook it together so as not to leak and put it inside the camper for awhile.
wingerphil
Sorry I jinxed you. I bet the thermastat is the culprit. In my case it is outside and not in but it seems that it would be the weak link in this scenario.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
Well, I received the replacement hose today and have it in place. Now we will wait and see how long this one lasts. I really like this hose so am hoping this failure was a fluke and not a normal breakdown occurance.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Sounds interesting. Do you have a url?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
here you go Mike.