Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Large Slideout

Well we got home fine from the Fall Rally but on the last two nights we were out on the road, we noticed that the large slide(dining table and sofa area) when in completely is about a 1/2 to 3/4 in off the carpet. I checked to see if there was anything under the slide such as a pencil or something but could see nothing! Anyone have any idea what is causing this or have you had this problem? Is it out of adjustment or has something slipped or broke? It is not the full length just about two foot or so on the slide next to the entertainment center and infront of the entry door(dining table side). It's fine when it's in the out position just when it is slid in. By the way we have a 2980 RL if that helps any!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rondo,
Is that the first time you've noticed it? Ours has always been that way because when the slide is in, the bottom of the slide is pulled up tight at the outside thus causing the front (inside edge) to be lifted a little. Ours is up about 2-3 inches. Not a thing to worry about as long as the slide is in tight.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Yup, it's the first time we've noticed it! Neither of us remember it being that way before and it's only on one end not the whole length of the slide.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My 3670 was always up that much also. I thought it was normal, never caused any problems while we had it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron, what concerns me about your question and posts is that it is NOT EVEN!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Ron,
I don't see where you have answered Orv's question?

"Not a thing to worry about as long as the slide is in tight."

Orv
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carol-- That's what concerns me also. If it is normal it should be all the way across and according to Orv, his has been that way all the time. Ours just showed up on the side nearest the entry door about two or three days after we left the Fall Rally.
Cyrus-- I did answer his question as to noticing it for the first time. The slide is in tight when retracted but we've never noticed the rise in the floor before and as I said it is only on one side of the slider not across the whole thing.
I think I'll have to call Keystone Montana Division and see what customer service has to say about it. Does someone have the # and who to talk to on this? I think there is one of the members of MOC that used to work with the slides or the company that handles them but have not heard anything on that yet. Carol or other members of MOC-- do you remember who that MOC member is that has given advise on the slides? Did a search and can't come up with the name. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Who knows, maybe I'll have to make another trip to Goshen to get it straightened out! Now that would be a real shame!! Knowing Mary, I'll have to go there empty because the Flea Market is still open for another few weeks!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Ron, the member is MIMF who used to work for Lippert. Ours is slightly raised along the entire slide. Check to make sure there isn't anything on the roof that is caught when the slide closed--maybe a stick or something like that
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks for the name Jan! I have checked and there's nothing up there either. I'll email MIMF and see what he thinks before calling Keystone. How's the booboos on the truck and Monte doing? Have you and Paul recovered yet?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rondo,
In correcting my previous post, ours is raised clear across and not just on one end. I questioned it when we did our PDI in May 2009 and was assurred that this was normal. Some time ago, about 7-8 years ago, someone on the forum mentioned the possibility of stepping on the raised edge and they broke theirs. Ours has never seemed to flex when I step on it when going to the back to make sure everything is okay for travel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ron, on both of our Montana's the slides are up about that amount but is the same amount from one end to the other. You may have lost a roller on one end or it was never put on.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, any chance you could lay outside under the slide while Mary retracts the slide? Maybe you can see the point where it raises up and figure out why it is happening? Just a thought.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm going to try that Steve! We have Monte sitting in the driveway at the present time but will be moving it to winter storage probably tomarrow! I may get wet laying under it however since it is suppose to rain tomarrow! Figures, I washed the bugs off the front of Monte today. I'd like to pull Monte out of winterization later on, maybe January or so and head it South for a while to get away from the cold but I guess that all depends on Mary and her feelings of heading out in the winter snow and etc. I am going to climb under Monte when we close her up and see if I can see anything. Haven't email or contacted MIMF yet but hope to do so within the next day or so to see if he has any suggestions. Congrats to Vicki on her driving. Noticed it in another thread. Mary drove on the way back from Goshen and I also took a little snooze after I thought she was doing OK. Keep in touch, LONG LOST BROTHER!!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
On ours, the slide is slightly elevated all the way across until it reaches the end of travel going out. Then it drops down slightly all the way across to where it is near level all the way across.
Sounds like something has happened to one end of yours. Either something got under it, something out of adjustment, something broke, or something came loose.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, hey TWIN, we arrived back in Independence today. We had heavy rains just about all 327 miles, today (very long day for us!). And it was raining in Independence, so, tonight we're in "overnighting mode." Didn't unhitch, just hooked up water and electricity and dropped the landing gear. Tomorrow we'll unhitch and do the setup. The car is here so we jumped in it and went to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

Where I was going with all that is while out in the rain I started melting. Since we are long lost twins, according to certain rally attendees, that might happen to you, too. So be careful laying out in the rain under the slide.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve-- No problem here with the melting from rain. I might even wish for some melting the way my waist has grown this past summer. I'm going to winterize the unit today and while closing it up I'll check under the slide for any problems if I can see any. Looked under it yesterday and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary from there. We'll see what happens when we close it up! It sounds like we are going to have some of the white stuff by tomarrow night. It is definately to early for that stuff to be here yet and if that is going to be the start of it all it's going to be "one long winter"! May have to try and talk Mary into heading South for part of this winter. Take care and stay dry can't have a long lost twin brother disolving a way on me now can I!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It seems winter is arriving early just about everywhere, including here. No snow yet but a low of close to freezing last night and high of 49. I used to be out on the lake in the boat, fishing in gorgeous weather, this time of year. We'll be in Independence until early March. It appears this may be a long, cold winter.

Let us know what you find on your slide.