Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Floor Creaking

Has anyone had the experience of their floor creaking?
All of a sudden when I enter the door the floor in front of me has started to creak. We've never had any water leaks in that area. we have a refrig. in the laundry closet which is full which I would assume would take the weight if it's built for a washer and dryer.
Any idea's?
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jack,

I get some creaking in various places in our rig. It comes and goes. At one CG it may be in one spot and another CG in another place. I don't think it is too unusual.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We have creaking in the dining/kitchen area in the center part of the rig. But it is not too bad therefore we tolerate it. I think it is caused by normal warping of the floor over time. It does not seem to be getting any worse.

I do recall other MOCers have had significant separation of the floor with the rig framing requiring service work, but I hope your creaking is not as severe.

If it starts getting louder, you might need to get under your rig, remove the covers and look for problems. But you might want to wait for others to comment with their ideas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Dennis and Art,I guess I'll keep my eye on it for now.
I was just wondering if it's something I should worry about.
When I returned home Monday from a short trip I did block my front landing gear a little different from normal,
maybe that's it.
Jack
Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Has anyone had the experience of their floor creaking?
All of a sudden when I enter the door the floor in front of me has started to creak. We've never had any water leaks in that area. we have a refrig. in the laundry closet which is full which I would assume would take the weight if it's built for a washer and dryer.
Any idea's?
Jack
We used to have a lot of floor creaking but since we had lived in a double-wide mobile home before we began this lifestyle, I attributed the creaking to the rig not being perfectly level.

Since we had Bigfoot Levelers installed on our Montana last April, we've not experienced one iota of creaking.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Orv,You're probably right about being level,our driveway is at such a downgrade after I try to level as best as possible I can walk under the front of the Monty without ducking down.
I'm 6'2.
I've parked like this for almost two years without any problems,this last time I added another 6" block under the landing gear so I wouldn't have to extend the gear so far,that might have cause the creaking.
Jack