Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Slide out hydraulic unit

Anyone know if it's OK to throttle the slide out control valves on the Hydraulic unit to slow down the slides? I've went through the information the company has online and nothing is mentioned.

02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
02Pullin,

I'm not familiar with the "throttle" you speak of. You are the first person I've heard of that has a problem with the slides going too fast. Most folks complain about them being too slow.

What part of Bakersfield do you live in? We are in the southwest. We're near the corner of Stine and Ming. There are now several of us with Montanas here in town.

Are you planning to go to Quartzsite?

See you on the road.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Its your rig work with it to your satisfaction. I dont think you will harm anything.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

02Pullin,

I'm not familiar with the "throttle" you speak of. You are the first person I've heard of that has a problem with the slides going too fast. Most folks complain about them being too slow.

What part of Bakersfield do you live in? We are in the southwest. We're near the corner of Stine and Ming. There are now several of us with Montanas here in town.

Are you planning to go to Quartzsite?

See you on the road.

HamRad
I'm new to Monty and this unit and the sides come out a lot faster. Noticed the the valves on the hydraulic unit would open or close which I take is counter-clockwise to open, clock-wise to shut off. Was just wondering if half open and slowed down the slide and would it harm anything.

Also in the Southwest Wilson and Akers. So about 1/2 mile. to the north of you off ash is another guy who picked up a Monty in March.

Can't make Quartzsite, Wife still working and needs her vacations for the other trips. First couple of years after I retired I'd go up each Jan and stay at Boulder Creek in Lone Pine. Since then I've been day care for Grandaughter. Best job I've ever had. Of course she'll be 2 in April so that's about the time they can off in any direction.

For years we went to Lake Tahoe for 2 weeks in the spring and 2 weeks up north at Benbow rv resort at the foot of the redwoods. Now it's Pismo coast village and Mammoth Lakes.

Well hope to see ya and if you ever need a hand just give a yell.
02pullin.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Heating up the motor would be my only concern.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Heating up the motor would be my only concern.
John,
Same as I was wondering about. Along with the relief valve giving out.
Best guess I'll get at home with it and after awhile it won't be fast enough.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think those valves are to be either full on or full off. Best call the MFG and ask their opinion.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

OK.... I see what you mean. DeWalt(DeWald?) is no longer in business or at least I don't think they are. Perhaps MIMF will stop by and give us some insight regarding this issue. I have mine either all the way open or all the way closed.

We live pretty close to each other. Our first pull was to Boulder Creek! We had some friends who were a year or so ahead of us with their RVing.... so they took us under their wing. Love that area. The Whitney view is spectacular isn't it? And we love the Redwood area. You can visit my PictureTrail site and view some Redwood pics.

Thanks for offer of help. I may well call you up one of these days. And you do have the very best job in the world! Nothing better than taking care of a grandchild!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hey gang!!

The IRC (Individual Room Control) valves are designed to be all of the way open or, all of the way closed. There is no in between.

What it does is, restrict the flow of the fluid under high pressure and does cause it to heat slightly because, you are trying to force it it thru a smaller orifice. I am sure each of you can think of an example that you can relate to.

As I recall, it was not recommended to do unless in some type of emergemcy situation. I have never been able to figure out what an emergency situation could be. But, the great thing about the fluid, which is normally automatic transmission fluid, that stuff is designed to work under extreme temperatures, anyway.

I hope this response has helped.

I have no idea if Lippert is still working on a flow control type valve any more or not. At one time there was some discussion about it and that was around the time they came up with the half turn ball valves in stead of those "long winded" twisty turny things that no one could open or close because of the pressure build up behind them. Remember?

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Hey gang!!

The IRC (Individual Room Control) valves are designed to be all of the way open or, all of the way closed. There is no in between.

What it does is, restrict the flow of the fluid under high pressure and does cause it to heat slightly because, you are trying to force it it thru a smaller orifice. I am sure each of you can think of an example that you can relate to.

As I recall, it was not recommended to do unless in some type of emergemcy situation. I have never been able to figure out what an emergency situation could be. But, the great thing about the fluid, which is normally automatic transmission fluid, that stuff is designed to work under extreme temperatures, anyway.

I hope this response has helped.

I have no idea if Lippert is still working on a flow control type valve any more or not. At one time there was some discussion about it and that was around the time they came up with the half turn ball valves in stead of those "long winded" twisty turny things that no one could open or close because of the pressure build up behind them. Remember?

Thanks MIMF

That's the way I'll keep them.