Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
water pump problem

When I was out dry camping I turned the switch on for the water pump and it sounded as if the pump was running. It was a vary faint humming sound. It would not stop. I checked the toilet, sinks shower/tub and outside shower to see if any were on, all were off. I turned the switch off and the noise stopped. I turned the swith on again and same thing happenend. The pump will not stop making this noise when the switch is on. I thought maybe even low voltage in battery but that was not the case either. The last thing I can thinkof is possibly a small hole in the diaphram. Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
If your pump loses prime it will sound like that.
Cause #1 may be your water tank is dry or too low.
Cause #2 is your pump probably lost prime due to air inleakage - turn it on and open a faucet to get the water to flow again. You should get a change in the sound from the pump as it starts to prime and pump water. Then turn off the faucet and see if the pump stops.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think Jim hit the nail on the head! Sounds to me like it is the loss of prime OR possibly a loose clamp or connection pulling air into the line from the tank or shoreline water supply. Keep us informed on what you find! What did I just say-- shoreline water supply wouldn't be using the pump dummy!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Mine was doing the same thing and I found I was pumping water out the 'fresh water (city water) inlet'.. the stopper had sealed fully the last time I had it on city water. Was just enough to keep running very faintly.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Had the same thing happen to my 3400RL when in storage for several weeks. Once it primed itself it stopped. Had me worried for a day or so, till I figured (it figured itself) it out.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Did the same thing and got real worried until I saw I had turned my winterize valve to on. It was easy to do as the water heater bypass and winterize valve are identical. Still I am glad the DW didn't see it as she thinks I am infallible ......... Ya right!! LOL.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
party of 5,

Funny you should mention this problem. I had the very same problem last week. I finally found that the convenience center water valve was slightly turned on. Had me worried, I thought I had a leak somewhere. You might also check to make sure you don't have the fresh water valve set to "fill".

Good luck finding the problem, but I am confident you already have the answer in one of the above postings.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I’ve also noticed this from time to time. I usually check the water level if I catch it doing this. I’ve noticed it the most whenever the water level is low; which from the other postings sounds like it may have lost its prime. As mentioned already, let us know what you find out!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
I checked several items again. no leaks, tank is full, my trailer is not equipped with a fill valve, only has the city water hook up an inlet to put in a hose to fill the tank, no valve to operate. Still doing the same thing. Guess it is a perfect time to put in a new quiter pump.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We find we have this trouble when we switch from city water to tank/pump water, sometimes!

Our solution is to turn on pump, and run water, find best to run water furthest from the pump. You have to purge the air out of the lines, and it takes a while. The pump will get VERY quiet, in ours, so quiet we can barely hear it running (no kiddng) and then gradually, it will get louder and louder and finally LOUD. At that point, we can turn the water off, let the pump finish running and then it is usually fine till the next time we change the water supply choice.

It can take so long that you think it will never get loud. In this case, loud is mucho better than silent. We can really "hear" the difference when the lines are now purged of air.

By the way, Al calls this "lost the prime", I call it purging the air. No matter what we call it the quiet pump in this case is not good.

Good luck.

jimc description is right on!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Party of 5, I once had a small piece of debri get caught in the city water connection, and it let the pump suck air. As a temp fix, I bought a plug to seal off the city water connection when we were boondocking. Later on, I removed the city connection, and replaced the o ring seal.( There is a check valve built into the city supply connection,that's where the o ring is located) That stopped it. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote