Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Brrrrr...cold RV ouuting-help!

Hi folks,
tomorrow morning we are leaving Folsom, CA for Salt lake City. We plan to stop ovenight in Elco, NV. We knew it would be cold but we didn' realize it would be 9 degrees overnight [extreme cold front coming in]. Since this trip is part business we can't change travel dates or routes, and staying in the RV is part of the whole plan. I know I will be buying plenty of propane and I do have a pretty good ceramnic heater [thanks to advice from ya'll]. We want to be able to use our water system and not have to winterize it. Once we pass through our 1- nighter in Elco, Salt Lake City temps will be in the 20's/30's.
Here is our big question; I realize that the heating system will keep the water pipes and tanks from freezing, but what about when we are towing for several hundred miles in 10 degree temps. I want to just keep the heat on while I am towing. Is that OK to do? And of course the coldest camping we have ever done in the Monty was 24 degrees and we did stay comfortable. Can we expect the furnace to keep the chill off at 9 degrees?
thanks so much for your feedback.
Jim and Kathy and Sami the shedding lab...

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Just my 2 cents worth, in colder weather, I travel with heat on since we crate dog and cat in the rig for extended trips. The heat will not work when the battery disconnect is engaged (Don't ask me or the pets how I know this). And make sure battery is fully charged. Others discourage it and many recommend turning it off when in the vicinity of fueling stations. Drain the low point drains in the convenience panel as they will provide a path for cold water known as ice to migrate upwards through the water pipes. Many others have endured colder temperatures so I believe you will be okay.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We travel with the heat on. The furnace will keep the chill off, but please realize it will run a lot. Use your space heater and it will help. Have fun!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have traveled with the heat on. Never had any problems. It is winterized with antifreeze because pipes under the coach can still get cold.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
In cold weather, we leave ours on , set at 50 degrees. We never take our 5th wheel into gas stations with it on. Most of the time we fill up the truck alone. An auxiliary tank makes that happen.

Roy & Kay (in Florida now until May)
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Risk vs. reward. The greatest risk is freezing up. Reward for keeping heater on is not freezing. Unless you are going through a long tunnel or fueling up, I vote for keeping the heater on.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
My 2 cents worth. I would put a little pink stuff in the holding tanks this is cheap. I would rather buy $4 worth of that than have a tank fracture. Even if only in there for a couple of days. I am not sure how good the Arctic package works.