Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Monitor Pass California

Has anyone pulled their Monty over Monitor Pass (Hyw 89) south of Markleville? If so how was it? I'm thinking of doing it in a couple of weeks on our way to Bodie.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Capt Kidd,
You are stretching the memory!...It has been years since I have driven that route...on the way to Mamouth skiing, in a Suburban, no trailer in tow. I can only remember that it was a spectacular drive but I can't recall the severity of the route. If I had to guess, it wouldn't be a route that I would take...probably go around on 395. Hopefully someone else has experience and can help!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It is a beautiful drive but a lot of very sharp curves, it could be done but not sure if I would do it. It is great on a motorcycle.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,

I've not been down that particular section of road but knowing a little about that part of the country I'm in agreement with those who recommend simply going on over to 395. Since you're coming from the Chico area I assume coming in on I 80 would be the preferred route into Reno. Then just head south on 395. Been up and down that section many times in the last few years. No problem at all on 395.

We were going to stop and do the Bodie thing a few trips back but ended up not making the time to do it. My brother has been there a couple of times and says it is a place we must visit.

Have fun.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
The last time I went over Monitor Pass I was driving a 28 foot class C motor home. I have taken the Monty over Mt. Saint Helens in California and I don't think Montior will be any worse.

In any event I'm going to do it and will let you guys know how it went.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,

With that slick looking rig I think you could go anywhere you wanted!

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 09-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been over the Big Horn mountains (about 9,000 feet) with our F-250 and 35 ft Montana. No problems. Didn't even overheat.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
It's been a while since I've driven over Monitor Pass, even though it's just around the corner, but what I remember is the constant climb and descent on either side of the pass and some tight turns about halfway down before you get to the canyon on the south side. It's a gorgeous drive, especially this time of year, and as long as your truck is in good shape and you keep your speed in check on the way down, you won't have white knuckles.

Go for it
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We just got back from our trip to Bodie. Went over Monitor Pass like it wasn't even there. We went west to east and the only time we were under 25 mph was to slow for the curves. Love that turbo diesel truck. Coming down the east side I had to use the brakes 5 or 6 times is all. The exhaust brake took care of the rest.

We spent three nights at Silver Lake RV park in the June Lake loop. Nice enough place and awesoom views. Spent one day going to Bodie and Masonic (ghost towns). Bodie is mostly still there as it is a state park and is preserved in a state of arrested decay. Masonic is almost entirely gone but still neat.

Another day was spent at Devils Postpile. What a bunch of rocks!!!

We then went east to west over Tioga Pass (10,000 feet) quite a steep climb up to the summit. At the summit we took a hike to another onld ghost town, Bennetville. Nice scenery and well worth the hike.

Spent three night in Groveland at the RV park there nice place. Spent one day in Yosemite Valley. The water falls were all dry only the second time I have seen that. Still outstanding. Another day was spent going to Hetch Hetchy Res. then on a back road down and over the Tuolumnme River and back up to HIghway 108 and the town of Standard.

My Sis had looked at the AAA map and directed me down the Ward Ferry road as the most direct way back to groveland. AAA map showed it as being a "main road". Well Sir, this main road was ten feet wide with a wall on one side and a cliff on the other, no gaurd rails and several hundred feet drop. Let me tell you with an eight foot wide truck and a ten food wide road we had a ball going down at least 1200 feet vertical and then back up the other side. Glad we didn't meet anyother rigs. Fortunately for me my Sis and I are not really bothered by this stuff and Mom who was in the back couldn't really see what it was like.

The next day we went to Loomis and stayed in an old KOA converted to an RV park. It was alright for a night or two. Frday night we went to my nephews (head coach) football game. They did alright the first half but fell apart the second half.

Next day we went to Nevada City and did wine tasting all day then diner out in Auburn. All too soon the next day we had to head for home and back to work today. All in all a great short trip.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
WOW, sounds like a grand time!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Capt Kidd, my step father was born in Bodie. He left there in 1909. He had great srories of the area. Hope to cross paths with you and I will tell you more.

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,

Wow! What a nice trip. Glad it worked for you. I'm a bit surprised you didn't have more trouble with snow. But it sure sounds like you had a great time. Glad the route and truck and Monty all worked out well for your trip. Nice setup.

See you soon.

Dennis
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Wow!! what a great sounding trip. Mary and I have only been in CA once, in 2006 and loved the drive. Most of our trips are from Ohio to Seattle. We are about ready to park the rig for the winter after a short trip to Lake Erie in the morning for the rest of the week. Glad you made the passes with no problems. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote